Skip to main content

Temporary traffic signals licence

How and when do I apply for a licence?

  • If you already have a user name and password you can apply for a licence via the Argonaut website.
  • If you do not have a user name or password, or have forgotten your login details, please send an email with the appropriate request to: The email will need to contain your company name and address, together with your contact details including name, email address and telephone number, and (as an attachment) a copy of your public liability insurance document (a minimum of £5 million insurance is required).

Please note you must apply at least one week in advance. This is to ensure that the proposed works will not be in conflict with any others, and so that emergency services can be kept informed.

If you are working on the public highway and applying for a temporary traffic signals licence you may also require a road opening licence.

What are the terms and conditions?

If approved the signals must operate in vehicle actuated mode and the signal heads must be positioned at locations visible to approaching traffic. All temporary signing must be in accordance with chapter eight of the Traffic Signs Manual and information boards must be provided on site with telephone numbers, for any enquiries.

What is the cost of the licence?

There is no charge for the licence, i.e. to erect temporary traffic lights.

However, if the switching off and back on of any permanent signals is required charges will apply.

For planned works it is necessary to advise us at least 7 days in advance of the works of the requirements.

We will make every effort to resource this activity using Surrey County Council staff however on occasions it may be necessary for us to arrange this switch out activity via a third party. When this happens we reserve the right to recover the costs charged to ourselves for this.

Standard SCC costs for switching off and back on Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm standard working days are £198. All other times standard cost will be £276.

Third Party costs for switching off and back on Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm can be considerably higher in the region of £450 and £770 respectively.

What documentation is required?

  • On the online application form available on the Argonaut website there is a section to include a method statement, explaining how the work will be carried out.
  • Proof of £5 million public liability insurance, which is required when applying for a user name and password to access the online application form.

What if I have any queries, concerns or complaints?

If you have queries, concerns or complaints about the licence, you can contact us via our contact centre either online or by telephone. For further details on logging a comment, compliment or complaints please see our website.

If you have any queries, concerns or complaints about the location or safety of materials on the public highway, please either contact us by telephone via our contact centre or report them online directly to us.