Skip to main content

Application for temporary road closures

Only applications in relation to works on the public highway are approved.

A Temporary Traffic Regulation Order (TTRO) must be made to allow road closures to take place. We make these. Under the current regulations two notices must be published in the press, one stating the intention to make the order and another stating that the order has been made. Legal Notices are also placed on site advertising the intention to make the TTRO (often seen attached on a lamp or sign post).

A TTRO may also be required for other temporary changes such as instigating or suspending a one-way system.

Various groups and organisations, such as Surrey Police, the emergency services and local councillors are informed by ourselves as soon as details of the road closure are known. It is the requestor's responsibility, if the closure is agreed, to identify, inform and/or consult with all stakeholders affected by the closure.

How do I apply for a temporary road closure?

Applications must be submitted a minimum of eight weeks in advance of the date required, this is to allow time for the order to be advertised, checked and processed. We cannot process applications that are submitted with a lead time of less than eight weeks.

  • The application form should be downloaded from this page, completed and returned to us via We do not accept postal applications.
  • The form must me completed fully for us to be able to process it. Incomplete forms will be returned for more information.

How much does the road closure cost?

The cost of the closure is £866 to cover the preparation of Orders and Notices plus the actual costs of the necessary two press advertisements, which must be met by the applicant (total costs are generally in the order of £2,500 - because the advertising costs vary according to the papers in which the adverts are published it is not possible to give an exact cost before you apply).

It is necessary to include a purchase order reference, or written agreement, on the application against which an invoice can be raised at the end of the process.

What documentation and information is required?

The fully completed application form must be accompanied by a detailed map of the proposed diversion route and a plan of the site.

This map and plan must include all signage designs with the exact wording and locations at which they will be sited. In addition a written description of the diversion route is required.

We also need to see a copy of the Public Liability Insurance which indemnifies the County Council for a minimum of £5 million in respect of one accident or claim.

Return to top

What are your responsibilities?

For all closures, it will be your responsibility to provide appropriate signs that comply with Department of Transport regulations with which to adequately sign the closure and the alternative route. You must use Department for Transport approved/qualified (New Roads and Street Works Act, Chapter 8) personnel or companies for this activity; Surrey County Council do not supply traffic management or traffic management plans and the cost of the TTRO signage is not included in the cost of the TTRO. Signs will need placing and maintaining by the company contracted for this. Surrey County Council do not hold a list of approved traffic management companies and cannot recommend a traffic management company for works.

Advanced warning signage will be required to be placed on site three weeks ahead of the implementation of any TTRO. These signs must comply with Department of Transport regulations and include who is doing the works, why the works are being undertaken, start date and duration of works and a contact number for the works.

You will also need to consider whether any bus services will be affected by the closure. Should bus stops require suspension, please refer to our information on temporary bus stop suspensions.

Additionally, it is the requestor's responsibility to inform all stakeholders likely to be affected by the road closure. For example, this could include residents, parish councils, schools, businesses and churches. Every application is different, so all stakeholders in the area affected by the road closure will have to be carefully considered, then informed and/or consulted. This allows stakeholders to make alternative arrangements during the closure period.

How long can a road be closed?

  • It should be noted that there is a maximum period of 18 months during which a road can be closed. A public right of way / public footpath / cycle track or byways open to all traffic (BOAT) may be closed of up to a maximum of six months. (This may be extended on application to the Secretary of State but would require exceptional reasons).
  • There must be a gap of three months between consecutive closures on the same length of road.

What if I have any queries, concerns or complaints?

If you have queries, concerns or complaints about your application, you can contact us via our contact centre either online or by telephone. For further details on logging a comment, compliment or complaints please see our website.

If you have any queries, concerns or complaints about the location or safety of materials on the public highway, please either contact us by telephone via our contact centre or report them online directly to us.

Files available to download

  • External application form (92.4 KB)
    Application for Temporary: Road Closure/ Footway Closure/ Townpath Closure/ Traffic Regulation Order
  • Emergency application form (87.6 KB)
    Application for Emergency: Road Closure/ Footway Closure/ Townpath Closure/ Traffic Regulation Order