Skip to main content

Skip licensing

When is a skip licence required?

Where practicable, skips should be placed within property boundaries. If you would like to hire a skip to be placed on private land, i.e. a front garden, then no licence is required and you may approach any skip company of your choice.

Where it is necessary to place a skip on any part of the highway (pavement, verge or the side of the road), you will need to contact a skip company, which is currently registered with us. The skip company will apply for the necessary licence, which operates for a period of up to four weeks.

If you are unsure if the location is private or public your preferred skip provider will have access to this information and will inform you if a licence is required.

Although we are unable to make recommendations, you can view a list of registered skip companies on our skip register.

Please note, in some circumstances it may be necessary for us to turn down applications because the proposed site is considered to be potentially hazardous to the travelling public.

It is also important to remember skips placed on the highway are potentially hazardous obstructions, the licence therefore includes a number of conditions for the skip hire company including signing and lighting, which can be viewed in full below.

If you have any queries or concerns or require further information, please contact us via our contact centre.

How to become a registered skip company

If you are a skip company not currently registered with us then please see our information on skip company registration.

How registered skips companies apply for a skip licence

If you are a skip company already registered with us and wish to apply for a licence, please see our information on how registered skip companies can apply for a skip licence.

Return to top

Files available to download