Skip to main content

Scaffolding and hoarding on the road

Do I require a licence to erect scaffolding and hoarding

A scaffolding and hoarding licence is required for any scaffold or hoarding that is erected or encroaches on the public highway.

What are the terms and conditions?

Before applying, please read our terms and conditions for both erecting scaffolding and hoarding on the public highway.

How do I apply for a licence?

  • You can apply and pay for a new licence and extend your existing licence online, via the website (by opening a new window).
  • You can apply for a new licence and extend your existing licence by post, by downloading the scaffolding application form, also found at the bottom of this page. Please return it, along with the necessary fee and documentation, to the following address: Surrey County Council, Hazel House, Merrow Lane, Guildford, Surrey, GU4 7BQ. Alternatively, please request an application form by contacting us via our contact centre.

Applications for a scaffolding and hoarding licence should be received seven days before the date on which the scaffold/hoarding is to be erected. Heavy duty scaffolds will be referred to our Structures Group or to the local Building Control.

Please note that if you wish to change your existing licence, then you will need to submit a new application form, either online or via the post.

Return to top

How much does the licence cost?

The cost of the licence is £110 per 28 day period.

If you apply online via the website, you can also pay online using your debit or credit card.

If you apply by downloading and completing the application form below, please enclose a cheque made payable to Surrey County Council, with your application form.

If our contractors are called out to light the site, or to make it safe, a charge will be made to the licensee.

What documentation is required?

  • The applicant should produce evidence of Public Liability Insurance for a minimum of £5 million in respect of any one incident. A site inspection will be carried out before a scaffolding and hoarding licence can be issued.
  • Traffic Management details must be submitted and approved prior to the issue of a licence, where there is potential for encroachment onto the highway.
  • The location of the scaffolding and hoarding, together with the safety precautions necessary, which has to be approved by the Local Transportation Manager.
  • A sketch of your proposals, fully dimensioned with a plan.

What if I have any queries, concerns or complaints?

If you have queries, concerns or complaints about your application, you can contact us via our contact centre either online or by telephone. For further details on logging a comment, compliment or complaintsplease see our website.

If you have any queries, concerns or complaints about the location or safety of materials on the public highway, please either contact us by telephone via our contact centre or report them online directly to us.



Files available to download