Skip to main content

Road opening licence

Do I need a licence to open the public highway?

A private company wishing to open the public highway for any reason, must have a road opening licence from us, in the name of the owner of the apparatus being installed. Everyone excavating or working on the highway must have accreditation for the work he or she is carrying out.

What are the terms and conditions?

Before submitting your application form, please read the terms and conditions enclosed with the application form below.

How do I apply for a licence?

Please allow a minimum of 30 days notice from the date we receive your application, to allow time to inspect the site and process all documentation. Please complete the application form at the bottom of the page and submit to the business process team. If you require a temporary road closure, we require that you submit the relevant closure application eight weeks in advance and reference this on your application. We will not be able to process your request without this.

To apply for a licence to open the road please complete the Road Opening Licence form

If you have any queries regarding this please contact us via our contact centre.

Return to top

How much does the licence cost?

  • Licence fee is £145
  • Deposit (according to the size of the opening, including works in the verge etc):
    • Less than 10m2: £865
    • 10.1m2 – 15m2: £1,585
    • 15.1m2 – 20m2: £2,207
    • 20.1m2 – 25m2: £2,871
    • Greater than 25.1m2: Determined locally
  • Inspection charges – Three stages of inspection at £54 = £162. (Please note a definition of each stage are enclosed with the application form below)
  • If a defect is found at stages 2 or 3, each additional inspection carried out to check a satisfactory repair will be charged at £54 each to the maximum, of £162. The guarantee period will re-commence from the date of the satisfactory completion of the defect.
  • Work cannot be carried out at night, weekends or bank holidays unless the licensee is prepared to pay additional (overtime) costs.

Deposits will be held for 2 years from works completion date and returned subject to final inspection being passed.

What documentation and information is required?

All applications must be accompanied by the following:

  • Plan showing location of works and engineering layout.
  • Planning permission is applied for from the appropriate district or borough council.
  • Construction details.
  • Traffic management details. Please see examples for format and details
  • Public liability insurance details for a minimum value of £5 million.
  • NRSWA accreditation for supervisor.
  • NRSWA accreditation for operative.
  • Section 106 from Thames Water Utilities (where appropriate).

What if I have any queries, concerns or complaints?

If you have queries, concerns or complaints about the licence, you can contact us via our contact centre either online or by telephone. For further details on logging a comment, compliment or complaints please see our website.

If you have any queries, concerns or complaints about the location or safety of materials on the public highway, please either contact us by telephone via our contact centre or report them online directly to us.