Skip to main content

Consent for bunting over or along the roadside

What is bunting?

Bunting is a street decoration usually consisting of a collection of small flags strung together, most commonly used for street carnivals for decoration.

How do I apply for permission to place bunting within the public highway?

It is unlawful to string or place bunting over, along or in the highway without having first obtaining our consent as the highway authority.

Please write to the following address relevant to obtain the necessary consent: Surrey County Council, Hazel House, Merrow Lane, Guildford, Surrey, GU4 7BQ.

A request for the placing of bunting within the highway must be made six weeks before the date of the proposed installation. This will give us sufficient time to process the application and resolve any difficulties that may arise.

What documentation or information is required?

A request must be accompanied by the following essential information:

  • Proposed location of bunting.
  • Date of installation and date of complete removal.
  • Certified copy of current certificate of public liability insurance for £5 million.
  • Description of type of bunting to be used.
  • The contact details of the applicant, i.e. their fixed and mobile telephone numbers, e-mail address and postal address, so that they can be contacted 24 hours a day.
  • Method statement for installation, maintenance and removal of bunting.
  • Copy of written consent from the owner(s) of the fixing points to use them (where applicable).
  • Copy of the current structural adequacy certificate (obtained from owners of the fixing points).

Return to top

What are the terms and conditions?

Applicants must comply with the terms and conditions of the Highways Act 1980, section 178. These centre on the fixing, placement, maintenance and removal of bunting.

The purpose of the terms and conditions in the Act, is to prevent, as far as possible, damage and injury to persons using the highway, which might arise if the placing of bunting was unregulated.

The requirements are thought to be fair and reasonable, bearing in mind the need to protect the public and the applicant, and also in the event of any claim arising as a consequence of placement.

Can a request for bunting be turned down?

There may be circumstances in which we might refuse to give consent. The reasons for refusal will be clearly given, and the applicant has the right to appeal against either the refusal or against the terms and conditions required by the authority.

We also reserve the right to remove the bunting should it become unsafe. The cost of so doing will be recovered from the applicant.

What if I have any queries, concerns or complaints?

If you have queries, concerns or complaints about the licence, you can contact us via our contact centre either online or by telephone. For further details on logging a comment, compliment or complaints please see our website.

If you have any queries, concerns or complaints about the location or safety of materials on the public highway, please contact us or use the online reporting form.