- Do I require a licence to place building material on the highway?
- What are the terms and conditions?
- How do I apply for a licence?
- How much does the licence cost?
- What documentation is required?
- When will a licence be issued and how long is it valid for?
- What if I have any queries, concerns or complaints?
1. Do I require a licence to place building material on the highway?
If you wish to place building materials on any part of the highway, footway or carriageway, a licence is required from this Authority. A licence is not normally necessary if materials are placed on private land. All materials must be placed on private land whenever possible.
2. What are the terms and conditions?
Before you apply, please read the terms and conditions enclosed with the application form below.
3. How do I apply for a licence?
To apply for a new licence or extend your existing licence, please fill out and return the application form at the bottom of this page, along with the necessary fee and documentation.
Please note that if you wish to change your existing licence, then you will need to submit a new application form.
4. How much does the licence cost?
The cost of the new licence is £87 and this may be extended for a further 28 days, for an additional fee of £87.
Please enclose a cheque made payable to Surrey County Council, with your application form.
Please note if our contractors are called out to light the site, or to make it safe, a charge will be made to the licensee.
5. What documentation is required?
A copy of your Public Liability Insurance, for a minimum of £5 million is required in respect of any one incident to cover liability against all third party risks. For full details of optional documents required, please read the terms and conditions enclosed with the application form below.
6. When will a licence be issued and how long is it valid for?
Licences will normally be issued three working days from the receipt of an application. This applies to both new applications and extensions to existing applications. The licence is valid for 28 days and may be extended.
7. What if I have any queries, concerns or complaints?
If you have queries, concerns or complaints about the licence, you can contact us via our contact centre either online or by telephone. For further details on logging a comment, compliment or complaints please see our website.
If you have any queries, concerns or complaints about the location or safety of materials on the public highway, please either contact us by telephone via our contact centre or report them online directly to us.