Surrey County Council has developed proposals for a scheme to improve the A23 Three Arch Road and Maple Road junction.
The junction is in an important location that connects drivers, bus users, cyclists and pedestrians to Redhill town centre to the north and Horley, Gatwick Airport and Crawley to the south. It is also used for access to East Surrey Hospital. The junction currently suffers from major congestion which causes severe queues and traffic delays, including delays to ambulances in an emergency.
The benefits of the proposed scheme will include:
- Reduced congestion and traffic delays.
- Quicker journeys through the junction especially in the morning and evening peak times.
- Improved emergency and visitor access to East Surrey Hospital.
- Less congestion and queuing at the junction which will be beneficial for air quality in the area.
- Improved bus reliability and journey time savings, with priority given to late running buses at the traffic signals.
- Shared paths and new crossings which will provide safer routes for cyclists and pedestrians.
Consultation on the proposals
We consulted publicly on the proposals between 1 November 2018 and 6 January 2019. A questionnaire was provided for the public to provide their views.
We held two exhibition events on 22 and 28 November at the Three Arches Restaurant within East Surrey Hospital. At these events staff from the Project Team were on hand to answer questions. Additionally we provided physical displays of the consultation panels at Reigate Town Hall between 30 November 2018 and 6 January 2019.
The consultation is now closed. Approximately 300 responses were received and these have been analysed. The consultation report below sets out our analysis of the consultation.
The next stage of the scheme development is detailed design, which is now expected to proceed subject to funding, given the high level of public support demonstrated through the consultation. At the detailed design stage, issues raised for further review during the consultation process (see consultation report) will be considered.
You can email us at: email@example.com. Please include 'Three Arch Junction' in your email subject.
Files available to download
- A23 Three Arch Road Junction Improvements Consultation Report (PDF)
A23 Three Arch Road Junction Improvements Consultation Report