Woking Borough Council and Surrey County Council are proposing to make changes to waiting and loading restrictions and on-street parking in Woking Town Centre, Controlled Parking Zone Area 1, which also includes The Grove and Ferndale Road.
Summary of the proposed changes
In the main, the changes that have been advertised were:
- To extend the Area 1 operational hours from 6pm to end at 10pm each evening, including The Grove and Ferndale Road. This change will also apply to the resident as well as visitor permits.
- To implement a 'restricted zone' in Church Street East (and the roads that lead from it) that will impose waiting and loading restrictions for the same period as Area 1, 8.30am-10pm, Monday to Sunday.
- To create a pedestrian zone in part of Church Street East and Christchurch Way near Town Square.
- To install a loading bay (adjacent to the Martian Tripod) for use during the restricted hours as well as a parking bay for buses that will allow improved transport links into the town centre for local business and a parking bay for police/ emergency service vehicles.
- Six disabled bays will also be created in existing limited waiting bays in Chobham Rd and Christchurch Way to mitigate the loss of those near Concord House and Cleary Court. Duke Street is similarly proposed to be redeveloped and the new layout will include additional disabled parking bays to mitigate the loss of several bays around Church Street East.
- Extend current parking controls to bank holidays across the whole borough.
The creation of a pedestrian zone in part of Church Street East and Christchurch Way near Town Square as shown on the attached plan has been advertised. Church Street East, Christchurch Way, Chobham Road and Duke Street are also being resurfaced with new block paving. To improve the appearance of the area it is planned to create a restricted parking zone instead of the existing conventional yellow lines and signs that are currently present. A restricted zone has boundary signs that state the parking and loading restrictions at the entry point but no other signs or lines within, (except for other parking features such as parking or loading bay etc which are identified) which improves the overall appearance and street scene.
In Church Street East (and the roads that lead from it), a 'restricted zone' has been advertised that will impose waiting and loading restrictions for the same period as Area 1, 8.30am to 10pm, Monday to Sunday (as amended by the proposals described above).
Within the zone it is also proposed to locate a loading bay (adjacent to the Martian Tripod) for use during the restricted hours as well as a parking bay for buses that will allow improved transport links into the town centre for local business and a parking bay for police/emergency service vehicles as shown on the plan.
Six disabled bays will also be created in existing limited waiting bays in Chobham Road and Christchurch Way in to mitigate the loss of those near Concord House and Cleary Court.
Duke Street is similarly proposed to be redeveloped and the new layout will include additional disabled parking bays to mitigate the loss of several bays around Church Street East. There are also disabled parking spaces provided in the adjacent Victoria Way car park.
Bank Holiday restrictions
Bank holidays are often some of the busiest days of the year in terms of activity in the town centre and the borough as a whole (perhaps with the exception of Christmas and Easter days). It is proposed to extend current parking controls across the whole borough so that they apply consistently on bank holidays. This will help improve access to shops/ businesses, reduce obstructive parking and generally help keep traffic moving at these times.
Woking Town Centre currently has a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ, referred to as Area 1) which imposes a uniform set of parking restrictions during everyday between 8.30am and 6pm. There are a number of limited waiting bays in Area One that also operate during the same period providing parking for up to one hour.
After 6pm, Area 1 is not operational, so vehicles can park on single yellow lines or for unlimited time in the parking bays. The evening economy of the town centre is continuing to grow becoming increasingly busy attracting visitors/shoppers and customers to the many restaurants and attractions in the town. The town centre is also undergoing major redevelopment and will have an increasing number of residential dwellings arising from separate developments.
It is therefore proposed to extend the Area 1 operational hours from 6pm to 10pm every evening, including The Grove and Ferndale. The extension of the parking restrictions later in the evening is intended to:
- Increase turnover in the on street limited waiting bays improving access to local businesses such as takeaways. The 1 hour limit will apply as well as current parking tariffs until 10pm.
- Reduce obstructive parking on the single yellow lines in Area 1 to maintain an effective traffic management regime. This will also help keep the footway clear in some locations improving access and safety for pedestrians.
- Protect the residential areas of The Grove and Ferndale from displacement parking and encourage visitors to use the town centre car parks in the evening where there is ample capacity. It is simpler to go straight to a car park rather than driving around town looking for a parking space which in itself adds to congestion and pollution.
Have your say
This consultation closed on 4 October 2019. Thank you if you took the time to respond.
A report of the results, and recommendations on how to proceed will be presented to the members of the Woking Joint Committee at the meeting of 4 December 2019 for their approval. The report will be published on this page a few days prior to the meeting.
This is a public meeting, please read the Rules and guidelines for petitions and questions if you wish to participate.
Files available to download
- Woking Controlled Parking Zone 1 changes plan (406.5 KB)
Plan for the proposed changes in Woking Controlled Parking Zone 2019-20