Woking Controlled Parking Zone 1 changes
Woking Borough Council and Surrey County Council are making changes to waiting and loading restrictions and on-street parking in Woking Town Centre, Controlled Parking Zone Area 1. Not including The Grove and Ferndale Road.
Summary of the changes
In the main, the changes that have been advertised were:
- To extend the Area 1 operational hours from 6pm to end at 10pm each evening.
- To implement a Restricted Zone' in Church Street East, and the roads that lead from it that will impose waiting and loading restrictions for the same period as Area 1, 8.30am-10pm, Monday to Sunday.
- To create a Pedestrian Zone in Church Path, part of Church Street East and Christchurch Way near Town Square.
- To install a loading bay (adjacent to the Martian Tripod) for use during the restricted hours as well as a parking bay for buses that will allow improved transport links into the town centre for local business and a parking bay for police/ emergency service vehicles.
- Six disabled bays will also be created in existing limited waiting bays in Chobham Rd and Christchurch Way to mitigate the loss of those near Concord House and Cleary Court.
- Duke Street is being redeveloped. The new layout will prioritise pedestrians, but include additional disabled parking bays to mitigate the loss of several bays around Church Street East.
- Extend current parking controls to bank holidays across the whole borough.
Pedestrian and Restricted Zones
The creation of a pedestrian zone in Church Path, part of Church Street East and Christchurch Way near Town Square is being implemented.
Church Street East, Christchurch Way, Chobham Road and Duke Street are also being resurfaced with new block paving. To improve the appearance of the area a restricted parking zone is being created that will impose waiting and loading restrictions between 8.30am and 10pm Monday to Sunday. This will do away with the need for the existing conventional yellow lines that are currently present. The restricted zone has boundary signs that state the parking and loading restrictions at the entry point and parking and loading will only be permitted in the marked bays. This will improve the overall appearance and street scene. Within the zone there will also be a new loading bay (adjacent to the Martian Tripod) for use during the restricted hours as well as a parking bay for police/ emergency service vehicles in West Street as shown on the plan.
Six disabled bays are included in Chobham Road and Christchurch Way in to mitigate the loss of those near Concord House and Cleary Court.
Duke Street is similarly proposed to be redeveloped and the new layout will include additional disabled parking bays to mitigate the loss of several bays around Church Street East. There are also disabled parking spaces provided in the adjacent Victoria Way car park.
Bank Holiday restrictions
Bank holidays are often some of the busiest days of the year in terms of activity in the town centre. The extended operational hours will also apply on Bank Holidays across Area 1 and the Restricted zone. This will help improve access to shops/ businesses, reduce obstructive parking and generally help keep traffic moving at these times.
Woking Town Centre currently has a Controlled Parking Zone (CPZ, referred to as Area 1) which imposes a uniform set of parking restrictions during everyday between 8.30am and 6pm. There are a number of limited waiting bays in Area One that also operate during the same period providing parking for up to one hour.
After 6pm, Area 1 is not operational, so vehicles can park on single yellow lines or for unlimited time in the parking bays. The evening economy of the town centre is continuing to grow becoming increasingly busy attracting visitors/ shoppers and customers to the many restaurants and attractions in the town. The town centre is also undergoing major redevelopment and will have an increasing number of residential dwellings arising from separate developments.
It is therefore proposed to extend the Area 1 operational hours from 6pm to 10pm every evening. The extension of the parking restriction hours to later in the evening is intended to:
- Increase turnover in the on street limited waiting bays improving access to local businesses such as takeaways. The 1 hour limit will apply as well as current parking tariffs until 10pm.
- Reduce obstructive parking on the single yellow lines in Area 1 to maintain an effective traffic management regime. This will also help keep the footway clear in some locations improving access and safety for pedestrians.
Have your say
This consultation closed on 4 October 2019. Thank you if you took the time to respond.
The original report and a record of the decisions taken at the Joint Committee meeting on 22 January 2020, can be read and viewed on the 'Agenda, decisions and minutes' page from that meeting. It is agenda Item 43/18