Apply for or renew a Blue Badge by post
Following government advice about the Coronavirus, the blue badge team are working remotely and will have limited access to paper applications. If you wish to make an application for a new blue badge or to renew a blue badge please do it online. Paper applications will be accepted but you are likely to experience a considerable delay, so please apply online if you can.
We recommend applying for a Blue Badge online because if everything is correct you will receive your badge faster.
- A friend, relative or representative can apply online on your behalf with your permission.
- You can immediately check that you are eligible.
- You can upload your photograph, proof of address, proof of ID and eligibility documents.
How to apply by post
Currently we do not recommend applying by post please see the information above. Postal applications will be delayed as the blue badge team are working remotely and will not have full access to paper applications in the office.
If you are unable to apply online you can apply by post. Applicants need to live in Surrey or pay their council tax to Surrey County Council. If you are unsure who to apply to you can check using the Gov.uk Postcode Checker.
Step 1: Download the relevant application form
You can download the PDF version of the appropriate application form below.
Step 2: Read the notes and complete the form
- Read the notes that come with the form to check that you are eligible for a Blue Badge.
- Please remember a representative, someone you trust can complete the form on your behalf but the information needs to be about you and you should sign the form.
Step 3: Gather your supporting documents
Please do not send us the original documents. Copies are acceptable and it is quicker if you upload them online.
You will need to have some documents to hand, ready to complete your application. You will need:
- Proof of identity (for new applicants only): such as a copy of a birth/adoption certificate or, marriage/divorce certificate, or civil partnership/dissolution certificate, or valid driving licence or passport.
- Serial number and expiry date of your current Blue Badge (if you have one).
- Proof of address: a copy of a document dated within the last 12 months with your address on it, such as a council tax or utility bill, or bank statement or prescription request.
- Any other documents that we have requested in the form that would prove your eligibility. If you wish you can also provide additional information from your doctor, occupational therapist, or physiotherapist. If you are applying for a child you can provide an EHCP, special needs report, or paediatric doctor's report. These documents are particularly important if you are applying under the criteria for non-visible (hidden) disabilities as all the questions must be answered and supported by professionals' evidence.
- Payment: a Blue badge costs £10. If applying by post you can pay by cheque or postal order which should be made payable to Surrey County Council. Or we can send you a link by email to pay using the customer portal.
- Photograph: a passport sized colour photograph, taken within the last six months, that shows your face clearly.
You can also check the notes that accompany the application form for guidance about which documents are acceptable for proof of identity and proof of address.
Step 4: Send the form, payment and documents to us
If you apply online you can upload your documents and pay online. If you apply by post send your form, proof of ID (only required for new applications) proof of address, any supporting eligibility documents and the £10 payment to the Blue Badge Team.
Please ensure you send ALL the documents requested. If you do not your application cannot be processed and will be delayed.
It will normally take around eight weeks to process your application but often applications are processed quicker than this.
We will contact you if you need a walking assessment. We will also contact you if your application was not successful.