Your Blue Badge application
- A Blue Badge is normally valid for three years and costs £10 When the badge is up for renewal you must reapply, this is a requirement for the Department for Transport.
- The blue badge process is currently taking around six weeks. Please do not contact us within six weeks of submitting your application as this may delay us looking at it. We will let you know if you need to provide any additional information.
- You can apply for yourself or on behalf of another person or organisation.
- The badge holder can use it in any vehicle, whether they are the driver or a passenger. It can be used throughout Europe.
- You will receive your badge faster if you apply online. Please see why apply online below, for more details.
Your Blue Badge is clearly printed with an expiry date, you should apply to renew it at least eight weeks before your badge is due to expire.
It is therefore important to tell us if any of your details have changed such as: your name, address, phone, email etc. Please include your Blue Badge reference number and expiry date with any correspondence.
If your badge has expired or if it is no longer required, please cut it up and dispose of it.
Changes to the blue badge eligibility criteria
On 30 August 2019 a change to the criteria will come into action. Local authorities will take into account people who have difficulty walking due to a non-visible disability. There will be a new online and paper application form. You can find further information about the criteria changes by going to Are you eligible for a blue badge.
Why apply online
Applying online can be faster and more secure, so apply online. You can also:
- Immediately check that you are eligible.
- If you are receipt of DLA or PIP Blue Badge automatic eligibility, your application is simpler and quicker online.
- Upload your photograph and documents or if you are unable to upload them you can send them separately by post or email.
- If you apply online you will automatically be sent a reference number and a link so you can track your applications progress.
- Once you have applied online, you can pay for your Blue Badge by sending a cheque for £10 to the Blue Badge Team. Cheques should be made payable to Surrey County Council. Online payments with a debit/credit card will resume shortly.
We will contact you if you need a walking assessment, or if your application was not successful.
If you are unable to apply online, you can apply for a Blue Badge by post.
If you need to contact us, please provide us with your name and address and if appropriate your Blue Badge reference number.