Acceptable documents to prove your eligibility for a disabled bus pass

You only need to provide one of following documents to prove your eligible disability. Please note that all information provided should be as recent as possible and we may ask for more details if required.

Department for Works and Pensions (DWP) statement

DWP statement showing receipt of:

  • Attendance Allowance
  • Disability Living Allowance (DLA) with:
    • Adults – middle/higher rate care component and/or higher rate mobility component
    • Children under 16 - mobility or care component at any rate
  • Personal Independence Payment (PIP) with a minimum score of either:
    • 8 points for the "Moving around" activity
    • 8 points for the "Communicating verbally" activity
    • 12 points for the "Planning and following a journey" activity
  • War Pensioners Mobility Supplement

Other proof of disability

  • Armed Forces Compensation Scheme (AFCS) award.
  • Disabled persons parking permit (Blue Badge).
  • Full registration card/letter from Sight for Surrey - formerly known as SAVI.
  • Certificate of Vision Impairment (CVI) signed by a consultant ophthalmologist.
  • Audiologist's written report (we may require an audiogram showing 70+ dB HL in both ears).
  • Adult (over 18) - in receipt of a Personal Budget funded by Surrey County Council, with the primary care need being a learning disability. If you fall under this category please let the Concessionary Fares Team know when you apply and they will be able to check the Adult Social Care records for confirmation.
  • Child (under 18) with current completed statement of Special Educational Needs (SEND) / Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP).
  • Letter/Report from your hospital consultant/specialist or a rehabilitation centre which demonstrates an applicant meets the required eligibility criteria.

Medically unfit to drive

Please provide confirmation that you do not currently hold a driving licence and:

  • Either a recent letter from the DVLA, stating you have had your driving licence refused/revoked on medical grounds, or
  • a recent letter from your hospital consultant or doctor stating why you would be refused a driving licence on medical grounds and how long they anticipate this to be the case.

Please note that being unable to drive due to prescribed medication or drug/alcohol misuse does not qualify as entitlement for a bus pass.

Companion Permit (C+)

If you hold an elderly or disabled persons bus pass and have difficulty travelling you could be entitled to travel with a companion.

To qualify for a Companion Permit (identified by a C+ on your pass) please provide either a letter stating that you require assistance in order to travel from one of the following:

  • Social Services
  • Sight for Surrey
  • A medical professional involved in your care
  • For children in SEND provision a letter signed by the Head Teacher or Special Educational Needs and Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENDCo)

Or a copy of your Personal Independence Payment (PIP) demonstrating 12 points for the "planning and following a journey" activity.

Applicants will need to follow the above process when reapplying for their companion permit.

GP letter writing services

Please note that we do not advocate the use of GP letter writing services as that is a private service and may incur a charge; applicants use that service at their own discretion and this does not automatically guarantee to meet the required eligibility criteria.