COVID-19 Vaccine scams
Published: 28 January 2021
What to expect from a vaccine invitation
Fraudsters are using the COVID-19 vaccine as a way of scamming people out of their money.
Buckinghamshire and Surrey Trading Standards have worked with Dr Sally Johnson from NHS Surrey Heartlands Clinical Commissioning Group to highlight what to expect from a genuine COVID-19 vaccine invitation.
What should I do if I think I've received a COVID-19 scam?
- Never provide your bank details in return for the vaccine.
- They don't use automated calls – so hang up if you do receive one. You will not be asked to enter anything into your keypad or send a text to confirm.
- Suspicious text messages should be forwarded free-of-charge to 7726. Your provider will investigate the origin of the text and act, if found to be malicious.
- If you have received an email which you're not sure about, forward it to the Suspicious Email Reporting Service at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- You may receive a call from a different GP practice than your usual one, this is because practices have come together to pool resources.
- You will not be cold called on your doorstep in relation to COVID-19 vaccines. If this happens, please contact Trading Standards on 0300 123 2329 or call 999 if you feel threatened.
If you or someone you know receives large amounts of unsolicited phone calls we may be able to supply a free call blocker. For more information, email email@example.com.
Why is this important?
We know that many victims of scams struggle with their mental health afterwards, and with the added pressure of lockdown and the lack of social interaction – the aftermath now could be tragic.
Read more articles in this section
Picking up medicine and prescriptions
Information and advice
Funeral guidance and bereavement support
Bereavement support available
Free sessions to help you deal with the impact of coronavirus
Helping you to talk about how you’re feeling
It’s not ‘just’ the flu
Protect yourself and others this winter
Misinformation around COVID-19 is on the rise
Believe it's false? Don't share it, report it