Asking for help is a sign of strength
Published: 07 May 2021
Find the right mental health and wellbeing support for you
Whether the support you need is more like armbands to give a little extra stability or a raft to keep you afloat, help is all around.
There's a range of mental health support available for everyone in Surrey. It can be difficult knowing what support could help and where to find it, so the below gives you an idea of the sort of help that's out there, no matter how you're feeling, whether it's for you, a friend or family member or a child.
The mental wellbeing web pages on the Healthy Surrey website has full details of these and other services so you can find the support that's right for you, or you can contact your GP for advice. Please don't delay – the right support is waiting.
I feel a bit stressed and down and want to do something to help myself
If your mood has dipped or you're feeling a little anxious, support and advice are available to give you the lift you need. Everyone is different which is why it's important you access the support that is right for you. This can include:
- Practising self-care techniques at home. Visit the tools to help you manage your mental wellbeing web page for more details.
- Visiting Surrey's Virtual Wellbeing Hub which offers a range of sessions such as coffee mornings, group chat sessions and tailored exercise classes – all accessible from the comfort of your home.
I don't feel my normal self and need help from others
If things are getting on top of you, it's important to talk to someone. There are hundreds of counsellors in Surrey, waiting to help.
- You can speak to a GP to start getting the help you need
- You can refer yourself to some free and confidential local services such as 'talking therapies'. This service offers counselling sessions, support groups or cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) to develop alternative ways of thinking which can reduce distress, and can be delivered either face-to-face, over the telephone, video call or web chat – whichever suits you best. Find out more on the talking therapies web page
- Surrey also has Community Connections services which offer wrap-around support tailored to your needs – such as one-to-one sessions, support groups, confidence-building courses or signposting to help with problems like job or money issues.
I can't cope anymore and need urgent help now
If you or someone you know has reached breaking point and is in crisis, there is support to get you through it. You can call the crisis helpline on 0800 915 4644 to speak to a friendly and well-trained member of staff, who is best-placed to listen, help you work through immediate problems and advise the next steps for you or a loved one. They might recommend a different service or suggest you visit one of the Safe Havens in Surrey – places which support people experiencing a mental health crisis outside normal working hours. You can also visit the mental health crisis web page to find details of immediate support available.
Help and support for children and young people
There's all sorts of support for children and young people too which can be found on the children and young people's mental health and wellbeing web pages, including:
- Trusted apps and websites can be used to find self-help tips and advice to help children and young people manage their emotions
- Schools also promote positive wellbeing and can signpost children and young people to relevant resources
- Counselling support is available, for example via Kooth.com, where young people can access free online one-to-one counselling sessions and discuss issues with peers in a safe, confidential and controlled environment. The Kooth.com service is available to all young people in Surrey from 10 years old
- If families have concerns or are looking for advice on all aspects of health, development or parenting, they can contact the Children and Family Health Surrey 0-19 advice line on 01883 340922
- There are also services which focus on supporting children and young people during a mental health crisis.
Visit the Healthy Surrey for more information on all the services mentioned here.
Read more articles in this section
If you can't get out to get shopping
Stuck for getting groceries?
Be prepared for flooding
Is your home at risk of flooding?
Looking for a reputable trader?
From roofers to range cookers we help you choose
£100m for community projects
Your Fund big ideas are coming in thick and fast
Financial help is available
Are you facing financial crisis?