Surrey Fire and Rescue Service recognises the need to educate children from an early age. Working with the very young opens the opportunity to positively influence children when they are especially receptive to learning.
For the first stage of our education programme, Surrey Fire and Rescue Service has developed the Early Years Learning Box. The box contains educational resources suitable for use with Nursery and Reception age children.
Teachers can use the resources in the box to teach children about fire safety and the fire service - with the option of a follow up visit from local firefighters.
For further information, please contact us on: 01737 242444.
Young children will become more aware of the dangers of fire and the people who are there to help them and their families if they are in danger.
- Children learn about fire safety through interactive activities.
- Children further develop their skills of numeracy, literacy, listening, spatial awareness and social interaction.
- Children meet their local firefighters (the people who help us).
- Children have fun!
Learning outcomes and opportunities
Fire is very dangerous.
- Never play with matches or lighters.
- Stop, Drop and Roll.
- Meet local firefighters.
- See firefighters in their protective outfits.
- See inside a fire appliance.
- Listen to siren and horn and see blue lights of appliance.
- Help firefighters use water hoses.
- Opportunity to have photographs taken with firefighters and engine.
- Receive a certificate signed by the Chief Fire Officer.