Skip to main content

Fireworks and the Explosives Regulations 2014

How to apply for a licence to sell or store fireworks

Trading Standards issue licences to sell and store fireworks.

All new applications or renewals for a licence to store fireworks will only be granted by the licensing authority once the premises have been subject to a satisfactory inspection by a fire safety officer in conjunction with Trading Standards or HSE.

An inspection will be carried out by a fire safety officer within 28 days from request to assess the suitability of the premises for explosive storage.

Your responsibilities as a retailer or supplier

The Government and the Health and Safety Executive provide advice for retailers and suppliers:

Firework displays

If you are planning or running a firework display see our page on fire safety for events.

About The Explosives Regulations 2014

New legislation relating to the storage of fireworks came into force on the 01 October 2014.

The Explosives Regulations 2014 have been produced to consolidate specific areas relating to the manufacture and storage for explosives and fireworks. This guidance replaces The Manufacture and Storage Regulations 2005.

The Health and Safety Executive have produced a document with guidance on the new legislation and how it will affect you.