Because of their age and design, historic and listed buildings can be more vulnerable to fire.
See the Historic England website for more advice and guidance on fire safety in historic buildings.
Fire safety visits
If you are the owner of, or are responsible for, a Grade 1 or Grade 2* listed building you can book a free heritage home fire safety visit.
The visit takes approximately one hour and provides advice on fire safety, reducing and eliminating the causes of fire, and options for smoke detection.
Owners of Grade 2 listed buildings can book a safe and well visit instead.
Case study: fire at Clandon Park
At 4:08pm on Wednesday 29 April 2015, Surrey Fire and Rescue Service received several calls to the Grade 1 listed stately home Clandon Park, near Guildford. 80 firefighters and over 30 fire appliances and specialist equipment were required for the incident.
Although fire crews were able to save many of the nationally important and historical artefacts, the fire spread rapidly throughout the building resulting in the devastating loss of this National Heritage property.
The full report (pdf) can be read online.
How are listed buildings graded?
Listed buildings are graded to show their relative importance:
- Grade 1: Buildings of exceptional interest (around 2% of all listed premises)
- Grade 2*: Particularly important, of more than special interest (around 4%)
- Grade 2: Buildings of special interest warranting every effort to preserve them.
Find out more on our page about listed buildings and conservation areas.
Files available to download
- SFRS salvage plan for special artefacts (250.0 KB)
Advice on protecting special artefacts in the event of flood or fire.
- Salvage plan template (723.0 KB)
A document for you to complete with details of your building to help you respond effectively to any major emergency.
- Example floor plans and artefact grab sheets (599.8 KB)
An example document showing floor plans and artefact grab sheets for use in an emergency.
- Floor plans and artefact grab sheets template (38.3 KB)
A document for you to add details of your building and artefacts.