Many of us enjoy spending time in the countryside, whether its camping, going for a walk, riding bikes or maybe a picnic or BBQ. It's important to understand how easily a fire can spread in these environments, resulting in serious consequences both to humans, wildlife and also the natural surroundings of Surrey's woods and heathlands, especially during warmer weather.
Please follow our top tips to help keep you and the countryside safe:
- Discard of rubbish cigarettes carefully
- Never leave a BBQ unattended
- Avoid starting camp fires on the commons and bonfires during hot, dry weather
- If there is a fire, call 999 and don't try to tackle it yourself
- If the fire is in a remote area, give an accurate location and meet the emergency services at the access point if safe to do so.
There are also unfortunate incidents where people commit arson. If you know someone who may be prone to fire setting, our Firewise scheme can help.