Please scroll down or select a link in the index below to jump down to information within this page.
What you can do
The Public Safety Plan for 2016 - 2025 (PDF) clearly sets out what we can do for you but there are also things that you can do to help us, and yourselves, to stay safe.
- Help prevent fires by disposing of smoking materials carefully and not overloading electrical sockets.
- Ensure you have working smoke detection and a fire escape plan for your home, we can assist you with this through a free safe and well visit.
- Our Firewise scheme provides an opportunity for us to speak to young people who have shown an unhealthy interest in fire or who may already have been involved in firesetting. If you feel that a young person may benefit from this intervention, please call 0800 085 0767.
- We see too many lives shattered by car crashes, think about your safety and that of others by driving safely and ensuring everyone wears a seat belt.
- If you need us to help you in an emergency; stay calm, phone 999 and tell us exactly where you are and the nature of the emergency.
- If you are driving and see a fire engine on an emergency call, pull over when safe to do so and give it as much room as you can.
Tell us what you think about our Service. We are always keen to hear your views on how we are performing and what we may be able to do better.
- Do you own a business? You could also help us by reducing the number of false alarms that we attend by maintaining fire detection systems properly
- Also make sure that you understand your legal duties for fire safety in your premises.
Find out more by visiting: Fire safety for businesses and organisations.
Volunteering and sponsorship opportunities
We have a range of opportunities, not just fighting fires, which could be paid or voluntary. If you are interested in helping us make Surrey safer, please go to our Fire service recruitment page.
We want to continue to offer the wide range of services we provide, if you can provide sponsorship to enable us to provide free smoke alarms or books and equipment to help us teach your children to be safe from fire;
Surrey Fire and Rescue Service plays an increasingly diverse role in communities. As well as our vital emergency role, firefighters carry out various fire safety initiatives including:
- Safe and Well visit
- The provision and fitting of smoke alarms
- School talks to educate children on the dangers of fire
- Production of the award winning road safety show - 'Safe Drive, Stay Alive'
We want to continue to offer the wide range of services we provide, such as smoke alarms or books and equipment to help us teach your children to be safe from fire, but as is the case with all public services we find ourselves in a challenging financial climate. This means we need to look at ways of working smarter all of the time, including sponsorship.
Our current sponsors include ExxonMobil, Mercedes-Benz World, esure, Procter and Gamble and the High Sheriff of Surrey.
If you are interested in providing sponsorship to enable us to provide free smoke alarms to vulnerable people or books and equipment which help us to teach your children how to stay safe from fire, please contact us to discuss further.
Arranging a visit to your local fire station
Community groups are welcome to arrange a visit to a fire station. Please contact Surrey Fire and Rescue to request a visit.