If you’re pregnant or have a child under 4, the Healthy Start scheme can help you buy basic foods like milk or fruit.
What do you get?
If you qualify you can receive vouchers worth £3.10 each which can be spent on milk, plain fresh and frozen fruit and vegetables, and infant formula milk. Pregnant women and children between one and four get one £3.10 voucher a week. Children under one can get two vouchers a week (£6.20 per week).
You can also get coupons to swap for free vitamins suitable for pregnant women, breastfeeding women and children aged 6 months to 5 years old.
You may qualify if you are at least ten weeks pregnant or have a child under four years old and you or your family gets one or more of the following:
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance
- Child Tax Credit (but only if your family's annual income is £16,190 or less)
- Universal Credit (but only if your family earns £408 or less from employment)
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Working Tax Credit (but only if your family is receiving the 4 week 'run-on' payment)
You'll also qualify if you are under 18 and pregnant, even if you don't receive any benefits.
How to apply
You can apply for the scheme by calling 0345 607 6823 for an application form or by visiting www.gov.uk/healthy-start.