Skip to main content

Nursery units of independent schools

Find registered childcare near you

Nursery Units of independent schools provide care and early education for children from two years old, and are usually run by private or voluntary organisations as part of an independent school.

Some nursery units of independent schools will not be registered with Ofsted but will be inspected by Ofsted as part of the school's inspection.

Paying for childcare

There will be a fee to attend but if your nursery is registered for Free childcare for 3 and 4 year olds they can claim up to 15 hours of free childcare for your child the term after their third birthday.

Depending on your family's circumstances you may be able to claim Free childcare for 2 year olds if your child's nursery unit is registered to offer the funding.

You may also be able to get help towards your childcare costs through the childcare element of Working Tax Credit or Universal Credit or by using childcare vouchers or Tax-Free Childcare.

How can I apply for a place?

You can apply for a place by contacting the nursery directly. If you are applying for a free childcare place you may have to register your child well in advance as many childcare providers operate waiting lists. 

You can search for nursery units of independent schools in your area in our Childcare finder

Further reading

You can find further information about choosing, finding and paying for childcare in our Choosing childcare booklet.

Files available to download