The following webinars have been put together to provide information and resources for practitioners working with children, young people and families, as well as for families and others concerned with the health, wellbeing and development of children in Surrey.
This page will be updated whenever new webinars become available.
Helping children thrive after lockdown webinar
This webinar has been created to help viewers better understand of the potential impact of COVID-19 on attachment, child development and all types of transition, including returning to 'normal life' and managing the changes brought about by the pandemic. You will also hear about the information and support available for parents and carers, and where you can signpost families needing additional help.
The webinar is led by Dr Kathryn Hollins, Consultant Psychiatrist and Psychotherapist for babies, children and families and the First Thousand Days Programme. It includes contributions from a range of health and early years professionals, as well as from families.
Children and families have had very different experiences of living through the COVID-19 pandemic and the various periods of lockdown. Some have enjoyed spending more time as a family, away from the pressures of daily life. But for many it has brought isolation from their wider support network of family and friends, and in some cases money worries, bereavement and increased pressure on parental and family relationships.
As restrictions begin to lift and children and families begin to socialise again, start nursery or school, we may begin to see an impact on children's behaviour and the anxieties and concerns of parents and families.
Helping children thrive after lockdown is available to watch in its entirety on YouTube and a full transcript is available here, or you can watch contributions from individual participants by following the links below:
- Dr Hollins about why attachment matters, building trust and resilience and the impact of ruptured relationships, trauma and loss
- Hazel from Home-Start in Conversation with new mum Melissa
- Midwife Frankie in conversation with new mum Rachel
- Health visiting support for Surrey families during the Covid-19 pandemic
- Conversation between Homestart volunteer Damien and Lucy from the Health Visiting team
- Sally Rodgers on Paediatric Therapy Service therapy services
- Conversation between Anika Wilson at Surrey Youth Focus and Alex Sanderson at St. Mary's church and toddler group
- Conversation between Horsell Village School and Peter Pan Nursery and Forest School and Pippa Gray and Wendy Simpson's update on Early Years surveys and projects
Other useful resources
Resources from Dr. Kathryn Hollins' Keynote presentation
- Babies in Lockdown Reports (Parent Infant Foundation, Home Start and Best Beginnings)
- Minnesota Study of risk and adaptation: a 45-year longitudinal study showing the potency of early relationship experiences for predicting developmental outcomes
UK organisations for first 1000 days and early childhood
- Parent Infant Foundation
- Wave Trust
- All-Party Parliamentary Group on Conception to Age Two (First 1001 Days)
- Zero to Three
- Harvard Center on the Developing Child
- Solihull online courses for professionals and parents
- Dan Siegel, The Whole-Brain Child
- Hoffman, Cooper and Powell, Raising a secure child: how circle of security parenting can help you nurture your child's attachment, emotional resilience and freedom to explore
- Steve Biddulph, 10 things girls need most to grow up strong and free
Resources from Sally Rodgers' Therapy Services Presentation
- Activities for babies, toddlers and children from BBC Tiny Happy People
- Home baby and child speech and language progress checker from I Can
- Children and Family Health Surrey website
Other online resources
- Time for Kids Surrey Youth Focus
- Home-Start UK
- Children and Family Health Surrey website
- Surrey Heartlands The First 1000 Days Strategic Plan for Surrey 2020 to 2025 Family Engagement Strategy (PDF)
Helping Families Early Webinar
The Helping Families Early Webinar was recorded in November 2020. The webinar introduces Surrey's revised Early Help Assessment, guidance and training for practitioners. You can download a full transcript of the Helping Families Early webinar or watch the webinar below.
Files available to download
- Helping Children Thrive after lockdown webinar transcript.pdf (PDF)
Full transcript of the Helping Children Thrive After Lockdown webinar
- HFE Transcript.pdf (PDF)
Full transcript of the Helping Families Early webinar (November 2020)