Power, gas and water failure

In the event of a utilities failure, local authorities are responsible for working with the distribution company who brings the supply to your door and health service providers to identify vulnerable people who are directly affected. You can choose to go on a list of people for electricity and water who get extra help if there is a power or water supply cut.

It is useful to know your regional distribution company, so it is worth checking, as Surrey has more than one distribution region for some utilities.

Electricity failure and safety


Find who is your operator by calling 105 or visiting the Power Cut website.

In Surrey, electricity is distributed by one of two companies dependant on location.

Check your company's website for real time information on power supply, areas covered, and to sign up to the priority service register if you have a young baby, health care requirements or sensory or mobility limitations, or are an older person.

You can also sign up friends, relatives and neighbours who are older, have new babies or a permanent or temporary illness or sensory or physical limitation.

What to do during a power cut:

  • If the power goes off you can report this by calling 105 or visiting the Power Cut website.
  • If you spot damaged or dangerous electrical equipment, including during or after a power cut, report the problem, but call 999 in an emergency.
  • Check with your neighbours during a utility failure – they may not be so well prepared and might appreciate some help.
  • It's useful to have an 'old fashioned' analogue (non electric) phone as it will still work if the power goes off.
  • Torch batteries expire – check them if you rarely use your torch.
  • Purpose-made glow sticks are a safer alternative to candles.

Return to top

Gas failure and safety

If you are in an emergency or smell gas call the National Gas Emergency Number on 0800 111 999.


SGN is the gas distributor for Surrey.

What to do in a gas emergency

  • Open doors and windows
  • Turn off the gas supply at the meter. Unless the meter is in the cellar.
  • Avoid the use of any naked flame.
  • Don't turn off or on any power or light switches.
  • Don't enter the cellar if the smell is coming from there.

Return to top

Water failure


Find out your water company in Surrey.

What to do during a loss of water

In the event of loss of water supply, you're advised to telephone the number on your water bill or check on your water company's website. Your water company will have an Extra Care register, which you can sign up to if you're eligible.

What water companies must do:

  • Warn and inform their customers of problems that may affect their supply.
  • Share their vulnerable persons register with local authorities in times of crisis.
  • Provide alternative supplies.

Alternative supplies include:

  • Bottled water, which is held for customers during planned interruptions and incident response.
  • Arrangements to make bottled water available for customers to collect from stockpiles and for doorstep delivery.
  • Static tanks and mobile bowsers for major incidents.
  • Arrangements for emergency tankers to fill static tanks and bowsers.
  • Other options including standpipes, over-ground mains and emergency drought orders.