Early Years coronavirus support
Visit this page regularly for the latest guidance for Early Years providers, including links to:
- General information
- Covid-19 Early Years provider recovery phase
- Supporting children and families
- Surrey Says survey – keep us up to date of your offer (including opening and closure)
- Useful contacts
General information for providers
- Vulnerable children (Child Protection) – provider responsibiities (PDF)
- Letter to the sector May 2020
Temporary changes to the Early Years Foundation Stage
On 24 April 2020 government amended legislation to allow the temporary disapplication and modification of several requirements of the EYFS. These changes come into immediate effect and will allow the sector to continue to keep children safe while giving them the flexibility to respond to the potential changes in the workforce's availability and the possible fluctuations in demand.
The Early Years Foundation Stage: Coronavirus disapplications include modifications to:
- Learning and development
- Assessment - 2-year-old progress checks
- Assessment - EYFSP
- Staff qualifications and ratios
- First aid
- Safeguarding and welfare - no changes just a prompt to review child protection arrangements, policies and procedures in light of Covid-19 outbreak
Full details of these changes and how long they will remain in force can be found in the government guidance for the Early Years Foundation Stage, and leaders and managers should make themselves familiar with these temporary changes and ensure they are fully aware of how they can use this flexibility and ensure they are meeting these modified requirements during the Covid-19 outbreak.
Covid-19 Early Years provider recovery phase
This section included information and documentation to support providers during the recovery phase and the sustainable delivery of provision in the near future.
- Risk assessment example (PDF)
- Risk assessment blank template (MS Word)
- Reintegration Leaflet (PDF)
- Transition document (MS Word)
- PPE Suppliers (PDF)
- Template Covid-19 Addendum Behaviour Policy June 2020 (MS Word)
- Template Covid-19 Addendum safeguarding arrangements June 2020 (MS Word)
- Template Covid-19 Cleaning and sanitising Guidance June 2020 (MS Word)
- Template Covid-19 Health and Safety Policy June 2020 (MS Word)
- Template Covid-19 PPE Guidance June 2020 (MS Word)
- Template letters for setting response to suspected and confirmed cases of COVID 19 coronavirus v1 - 11 June 2020
- Return To Work Post Lockdown Discussion Form May 2020 (MS Word)
- Early Years Reopening support pack (MS Word)
- Surrey and Sussex Health Protection Team flowchart - 04 June 2020 (PDF)
- Local Offer Early Years Covid-19
- Past issue of the Childcare professionals e-bulletin
- EYCP top tips
Supporting children and families
Resources to be shared with parents and carers.
- Letter to parents – May 2020 (PDF)
- Parent information leaflet on returning to Early Years settings (PDF)
- Surrey County Council 'Learn with me' leaflets:
- Surrey Local Offer - Coronavirus (COVID-19) resources, information and FAQs
Includes a range of information for parents and carers including some useful activities sheets and ideas from the Specialist Early Education Service (SEES)
- BBC Tiny Happy People webpage – activities, tips and advice for families
- The Hungry Little Minds campaign - Simple, fun activities for kids, from new-born to five.
- The National Literacy Trust – free resource and ideas.
Surrey Says survey – keep us up to date of your offer (including opening and closure)
Surrey County Council have set up a Surrey Says survey so that we can keep track of which Early Years providers have closed and which are still offering provision.
The Department for Education (DfE) guidance states that Early Years Providers should offer a place to vulnerable children and to the children of critical workers.
In order to understand what provision is available so that the Early Years team can monitor and signpost available provision, where appropriate, we are requesting that you visit Surrey Says and fill in the survey so that we have accurate and up to date information.
Please complete the survey whenever the status of your provision changes.
- Early Years Educational Effectiveness Team – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graduated Response Early Years SEND Team:
- Woking, Runnymede, Surrey Heath – Email: email@example.com
- Elmbridge, Epsom and Ewell, Spelthorne – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Reigate and Banstead, Tandridge, Mole Valley – Email: email@example.com
- Guidlford, Waverley – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Early years Commissioning Team – Email: email@example.com
- Finance and Practice Team (funding) – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org