Skip to main content

I need help


Community Helpline

Community Helpline number: 0300 200 1008

Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm, Saturday and Sunday: 10am to 2pm

Easter Good Friday 10th April and Easter Monday 13th April: 10am to 4pm (Easter Saturday and Sunday 10am to 2pm)

SMS: 0786 0053 465 for Deaf and hearing impaired residents only (Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm)

We have set up a new community helpline to direct you to services that can help during the coronavirus pandemic.

This community phone line is here for two things:

  1. To help direct residents who need support, if friends and family are unable to help with such things as picking up shopping, prescription collections or having someone who can be a telephone friend, and other services that can help.
  2. To provide advice on where to register your offer of help to support your community.

The Community Helpline will not be able to provide any public health advice (please use existing services such as 111) or answer general enquiries relating to council services (these should be directed to our standard contact page).

If you need to contact Adult Social Care you can find contact details here.

If you need to contact Children's Social Care including Surrey Children's Single Point of Access you can find contact details here.

Return to top

I need help online request form

You can also request help by filling in our online request form. You should expect to receive a response within 24 hours.

I need help request form

If our Helpline is open, we would recommend that you call that number to talk to someone who can help you: 0300 200 1008.

(Open Monday to Friday: 8am to 6pm, Saturday and Sunday: 10am to 2pm. Easter Good Friday 10 April and Easter Monday 13 April 10am - 4pm)

Return to top

Register for coronavirus support as an extremely vulnerable person

If you have a health condition that makes you especially vulnerable to coronavirus, the government is advising you to stay at home and take special steps to protect yourself. You can register for support if you or someone you care for is extremely vulnerable to coronavirus.

Register for coronavirus support on GOV.UK

The list of people considered to be extremely vulnerable includes:

  • Organ transplant recipients
  • Those with specific cancers
  • Severe respiratory conditions (e.g. cystic fibrosis, severe asthma and COPD)
  • Diseases with increased risk of infection
  • People on immunosuppression therapies with increased risk of infection
  • Pregnant women with significant heart disease

Return to top

Specific help needed - prescriptions and shopping

The community helpline will help direct you to relevant help for you. If anyone is unable to get help from friends or family to collect an urgent prescription they should contact their GP or community pharmacy

Crossroads Care Surrey have a team who are able to delivery shopping and pick up prescriptions.

Age UK Surrey - have a Help At Home Shopping service and telephone support for older people. Currently it's business as usual for existing clients and they are offering the service to new clients. Although they are now anticipating longer wait times.

Return to top

Financial help

If you're struggling financially – help is there

Some families may be struggling financially during the coronavirus crisis. Differing groups of the community will have differing financial needs. Below is a list of what is currently available at this time. We will be reviewing what financial support measures will be available and keep you updated when we have further news.


If you require information regarding claiming benefits during this time please click through to the Department of Work and Pensions Benefits during COVID-19 web page.

Surrey Welfare Rights Unit (SWRU) website contains up to date information about benefits available. There is guidance for the self-employed .

Job centres

Job centres will remain open and will continue to support people who are not able to use phones and online, including homeless people. Advice about how to access benefits and job centre appointments can be found on the Governments support for benefit claimants and businesses web page.

Social Care Direct Payments

If you receive Direct Payments for your social care provision for a personal assistant you should have received this letter from Adult Social Care.

Universal Credit

Advice about Universal Credit can be found here. You can also call the Universal Credit helpline to get help making your claim online or if you need help applying for an advance payment. Telephone 0800328 5644 or Textphone 0800 328 1344. Open Monday - Friday 8am - 6pm.

Citizens Advice Service

Citizens Advice Service can help with enquiries about benefits and financial support. Their service is now completely online here at Citizens Advice Service.

Surrey Crisis Fund

The Surrey Crisis Fund is a discretionary fund run by Surrey County Council providing financial help to Surrey residents who have nowhere else to turn in an emergency or after a disaster.

Return to top

If you're struggling to put food on the table

Food banks and Community Fridges are there for people struggling financially to put food on the table. Visit the Surrey Information Point website for details on foodbanks and Community Fridges available in Surrey. Or perhaps you can donate your time to help out?

The Trussell Trust – There are over 1,200 food bank centres across the UK who provide a minimum of three days' emergency food and support to people experiencing crisis. Please visit their get help page.

Return to top

*Call charges: Calls to 03 numbers from any network will cost no more than those to 01 and 02 numbers and count as part of any call package.

The cost of calls per minute depends on the network. Please check with your provider. BT customers may be able to call 03 numbers for free.

Please note: Calls may be recorded for training and monitoring purposes.