Everything we do to help the environment makes a difference, which is why we want to hear from residents who can take action locally and contribute to global change. Find out how businesses can be involved.
We're inviting anyone who lives, works or studies in Surrey to submit an idea for how they could work with their community to tackle climate change. At this stage it only needs to be an idea, it doesn't matter how big or small it is so long as it helps address climate change and brings communities together.
A community panel, made up of representatives from public organisations, local businesses, charities and community groups, will then shortlist the top ten ideas. Shortlisting will be informed by the issues that you tell us are most important to you. You can have your say by completing our short survey.
The shortlisted ideas will be taken through a design process, where the teams will be connected with local businesses and volunteers with the resources and skills to help turn the idea into reality.
Anyone is welcome to take part, you can submit an idea as an individual or as a family, group of friends, established community group, school or workplace. You may want to run a local innovation workshop with your community to develop some ideas together.
What kind of ideas are we looking for?
We're looking for creative, innovative and exciting ideas for how communities can work together to have real impact on climate change.
To be shortlisted, we'll be looking for ideas that:
- Tackle our key climate change priorities: we've identified nine climate change priorities. Whilst these are all important, we really want to hear from Surrey residents about what matters most to you. You can contribute your views by taking part in this short survey. The results of this will help determine which ideas are shortlisted.
- Require minimal investment to get started: while some funding will be available to support the development of shortlisted ideas, we're looking for ideas that will be quick to get off the ground and build on the strengths and resources that already exist in our communities.
- Encourage learning and sharing: we'd love to see ideas that work in one area and have the potential to be replicated elsewhere across the county.
- Strengthen Surrey's communities: hand-in-hand with environmental impact, we are also seeking ideas that genuinely enable communities to come together in delivering the solutions.
- Long term sustainability: we're looking for ideas that will have a long term impact rather than being a 'one-off'.
- Commitment: We want to ensure that groups will be committed to the process and turning their ideas into reality.
You can find out more about the sorts of ideas we are looking for and how our Community Panel will decide which ones will be taken forward in our Call for ideas Handbook (PDF).
What happens if my idea isn't shortlisted?
We can only shortlist 10 ideas to take through to the design stage, however we want everyone who submits an idea to benefit from the process. We'll be sharing details of local organisations that are already working to address climate change and would encourage you to get involved in these groups.
How do I find out more?
To find out more about the Design Challenge and to submit your idea, please visit the Submit an Idea page.