In July 2019, Surrey County Council, in declaring its climate emergency, committed the County to becoming net zero carbon by 2050 at the latest, in line with national ambition. To achieve this and the other goals set in our Surrey's Climate Change Strategy (PDF) we must act today. We have established the target of 15% of energy from solar PV by 2032.
Surrey County Council, in collaboration with its Districts and Boroughs, has partnered with independent experts in group-buying, iChoosr Ltd, to bring this opportunity to Surrey's homeowners.
Solar Together Surrey is an innovative new scheme offering high-quality solar photovoltaic (PV) panels and battery storage. It is a group-buying scheme, which brings Surrey's households together to get high-quality solar panels at a competitive price, helping you through the process and keeping you informed at every stage.
Solar PV installations are considered a 'permitted development' and will generally not need planning permission. However, in some cases, such as in Conservation Areas and on Listed Buildings, planning permission may be required. For planning advice please contact your corresponding local planning authority.
Do you already have solar panels installed? You can also register to have battery storage added to your existing solar panels to maximise the benefits of your system.
How does it work?
- Registration: you can register before 29 June for free and without obligation via the link above. To register you simply provide details about your roof, such as its size and orientation. The more people that register, the better the deal should be for each household.
- Auction: on 29 June our approved solar installers will bid for the work in a reverse 'auction'. The most competitive offer, from these pre-vetted installers, wins the auction.
- Personal recommendation: from 19 July you will be emailed a personal recommendation for your home, based on the details you provided during registration. This will include the costs and specification for a complete solar panel installation.
- You decide: the decision is then yours as to whether you want to accept your recommendation. There is no obligation to continue. You will have until 27 August to decide and will be invited to an online information session prior to this end date.
- Installation: if you accept, the winning installer will contact you to survey your roof and set an installation date. All installations are planned to be completed by the end of January 2022.
Telephone and email support are on-hand throughout the whole process, which, together with information sessions, will allow households to make an informed decision in a safe and hassle-free environment.
iChoosr was founded in 2008 and is privately owned by two co-founders. Before it entered the UK energy market in 2012, it focused on group-buying schemes in the Netherlands and Belgium. It now works with community leaders helping households select energy and solar power suppliers. As in the UK, its operations continue to grow across Europe, North America and Japan.