It is now possible to convert a civil partnership to a marriage. There are two options available, but with either option, you will first be required to complete a declaration before a superintendent registrar with all the required documents. The fees for each option are indicated below.
Requirements for completing the declaration
You MUST both attend together before a superintendent registrar and produce the following documents for completion of the declaration:
- your original civil partnership certificate, and
- proof of identity for each of you; this can be a current valid passport or United Kingdom (UK) driving licence with photograph, and
- proof of your address in one of the following forms:
- a utility bill dated within three months of your appointment, or
- bank or building society statement dated within one month of your appointment, or
- council tax bill dated within one year of your appointment, or
- valid UK driving licence.
If you fail to provide any of the required documents, it may not be possible to complete your conversion.
The appointment should take about half an hour and both civil partners must attend together with all the required documents.
The declaration will be prepared and then immediately signed by both of you in the presence of the superintendent registrar, who will also sign to complete your conversion.
The statutory fee for this appointment is £45 which includes preparation of the declaration.
There are two stages to this process, the preparation of the declaration at a register office and the signing of the declaration at a different location or time.
Both civil partners must attend together with all the required documents.
Once prepared, the declaration must then be signed within 12 months of the preparation date. The statutory fee for this preparation appointment is £27.
The second stage is the signing of the declaration and completion of your conversion.
The fee for this part is £45.
Both civil partners must attend together with a superintendent registrar, but you have the option to complete your signing at one of the following locations:
- a register office in the presence of the superintendent registrar only, no invited guests or ceremony, OR
- a register office licensed room in the presence of the superintendent registrar with your invited guests and followed by a ceremony – an additional local fee is payable for this option, OR
- a licensed venue in the presence of the superintendent registrar with your invited guests and followed by a ceremony – an additional local fee is payable for this option, OR
- a religious building where same sex marriages are allowed and in the presence of the superintendent registrar - a statutory fee of £91 is payable for the attendance of the superintendent registrar. A ceremony must follow and the minister should be able to advise you of their fees.
A marriage certificate will be sent to you once the details of the signed declaration have been recorded onto our system. The certificate will indicate that your marriage should be treated as having existed from the date of your civil partnership and shows the date of the conversion.
The fee for marriage certificates is £4 each if ordered on or before the signing of the declaration and £10 each thereafter.
You should contact us if there are special circumstances, for example, one of you is housebound or detained.
Booking your ceremony
Bookings are taken strictly on a first come, first served basis. You can request a call from our ceremonies office by completing our:
Our ceremonies office will then check availability and will contact you by telephone within two working days.