A renewal of vows ceremony is for couples who are married or in a civil partnership and wish to celebrate their time together and confirm their commitment to one another. It can be as formal or informal as you want and is unique to the couple.
Terms and conditions
Your ceremony booking is accepted on the condition that:
- Proof of marriage or civil partnership is provided when booking your ceremony.
- A renewal of vows fee is payable for your ceremony.
Please read in full our ceremony bookings - terms and conditions.
Please note the renewal of vows ceremony has no legal standing. This allows each couple to create a celebration unique to themselves.
- Speeches, readings and music from your original ceremony may be given or played again.
- Changes in your lives can be acknowledged, allowing your children and/or grandchildren to contribute.
- New promises may be made to reflect your plans for your continuing future together.
- Old rings or tokens may be rededicated or new rings or tokens exchanged.
- To mark your ceremony a special commemorative certificate will be witnessed, signed and presented.
Types of ceremonies
We offer two different ceremonies, each created to reflect the reason for the celebration.
Our first ceremony is designed for couples who have not been through a recent marriage or civil partnership ceremony, but are celebrating a special anniversary, for example, one, five, ten, twenty years since their legal ceremony. The celebrant words will reflect that time has passed since the legal celebration.
Please see our renewal of vows framework for a special anniversary celebration (PDF), for choices of vows or promises and ceremony structure.
Recent legal ceremony
Our second ceremony is designed for couples who have been through a recent marriage or civil partnership ceremony, perhaps overseas, and are having a second celebration quite soon after the legal ceremony. The celebrant words for this ceremony will reflect that a more recent legal celebration has taken place.
Please see our renewal of vows framework for a recent legal celebration (PDF), for choices of vows or promises and ceremony structure.
Booking your ceremony
Bookings are taken strictly on a first come, first served basis. You can request a call from our ceremonies office by completing our:
Our ceremonies office will then check availability and will contact you by telephone within two working days.
Files available to download
- Special anniversary ceremony (128.2 KB)
Renewal of vows framework for a special anniversary celebration
- Recent legal ceremony (127.4 KB)
Renewal of vows framework for a recent legal celebration
- Suggested renewal of vows ceremony readings (40.6 KB)
Selection of readings for a civil renewal of vows ceremony