The Surrey Registration Service has records of every birth, death, marriage and civil partnership that has taken place in Surrey since 1 July 1837. Prices begin at £10.
Types of certificates
To apply for a full certified copy of a birth record we need to know:
- full name of the child (as registered at birth)
- date of birth
- Place of birth (eg, hospital, home address)
- parents names (as shown on the original registration)
A full birth certificate contains all the information recorded in the original birth register including mother and father's details (where recorded). This certificate is required for official purposes such as passport and driving licence applications, and for many insurance, employment, pension and salary requirements. Birth certificates are not evidence of identity.
If a person was adopted, the original birth certificate can no longer be used for official use, such as a passport application. To obtain the legal birth/adoption record contact the General Register Office on 0300 123 1837.
To apply for a certified copy of a death record we need to know:
- the deceased's full name
- their date of death
- where the person died
To apply for a certified copy of a marriage record we need to know:
- full names of the bride and groom
- date of the marriage ceremony
- name of the wedding venue
Churches keep their own registers until they are full and then they are passed to Guildford register office. Please check with the church first before applying.
Currently it is not possible to order civil partnership certificates online.
Please contact Guildford Register Office for information on how to obtain a certified copy.
Delivery options and prices
Please note: Royal Mail advertises that first class post takes one to two days to arrive - the Recorded Signed For and first class services are therefore not guaranteed next day deliveries.
We will search our records for your certificate within 5 working days of receiving your order, Monday to Friday
|Collect from Guildford Register Office||£10|
|Post to a UK address||£11|
|Royal Mail Recorded / Signed For service to a UK address (first class). Please ensure that someone will be present to sign for the delivery||£12|
|Post first class to a European/Overseas address||£12|
We will search our records for your certificate within 24 hours of receiving your order, Monday to Friday. Priority service will be dispatched same working day if your order is received before 12 noon or next working day if ordered after 12 noon.
|Collect from Guildford Register Office||£16|
|Post first class to a UK address||£17|
|Posted Royal Mail Recorded Signed For service to a UK address (first class). Please ensure that someone will be present to sign for the delivery||£18|
|Post first class to a European/Overseas address||£18|
|Posted Royal Mail Special Delivery Next Day service delivered by 1pm. Please ensure that someone will be present to sign for the delivery. Certificates will be dispatched same working day if your order is received before 12 noon or next working day if ordered after 12 noon.||£26|
'While you wait' service
This is only available at Guildford Register Office.
You must arrive before 3pm Monday to Friday for same day service (excluding Bank Holidays)
Cost of additional copies
If you order more than one copy of an individual register entry by the While You Wait or Priority Service, the additional copies will be charged at £10 each, irrespective of which service you have chosen and only one postal charge will apply.
Please note that if you do not send the correct amount for your certificate and postal charge, we will be unable to process your order which will result in a delay in you receiving your certificate.
Other methods of delivery
It's quicker and easier to apply online but you are still able to apply by post, telephone, or in person:
- By post: This facility is for both standard and priority services. Write to us or print the relevant form from the bottom of this page. Send your application with the appropriate fee (see above for details). Postal orders should be made payable to Surrey County Council and posted to: Guildford
Register Office, Artington House, 42 Portsmouth Road, Guildford, Surrey GU2 4DZ.
Please note that as from 1 April 2016, we will no longer accept payment by cheque.
- By telephone: Please contact us with the details of the certificate you require together with your card details and they will be forwarded to Guildford Register Office for processing. Both the standard and priority services are available through this method.
- In person: At Guildford Register Office only, we offer a while you wait service provided you arrive before 3pm Monday to Friday (excluding bank holidays) or you can drop off your application in person for processing. You are also able to hand in your applications for a certificate at either of our other main offices at Leatherhead and Weybridge who will forward it for you to Guildford Register Office. However, this may result in a delay in your application being processed. Payment can be made by debit/credit card or cash and will be taken when you drop off your application.
The areas we do not cover
- If the event occurred outside the County of Surrey, apply to the Register Office nearest to where it took place.
- The Surrey Registration Service does not hold records for events occurring in: Royal Borough of Kingston upon Thames; London Borough of Richmond upon Thames; London Borough of Croydon and London Borough of Sutton
- For events that occurred in Scotland, Northern Ireland or the Irish Republic please contact the appropriate Registrar General.
- For events outside of the British Isles, you should contact the General Register Office, Overseas Section.
Records before 1 July 1837
Events before the 1 July 1837 may have been recorded in church baptismal, marriage and burial registers. The Surrey History Centre holds many local parish records and there are some other useful contacts on our family history page.