A naming ceremony is a wonderful opportunity to celebrate the birth of a baby or welcome adopted or stepchildren into your wider family circle. This secular ceremony is designed as an alternative to a religious celebration and whilst it has no legal standing, it creates a special event at which to gather together family and friends for a dignified but relaxed occasion.
A naming ceremony:
- welcomes a new child or children into your family and enables you to express love, care and commitment to them in front of your family and friends
- celebrates the name of a new child or children
- enables supporting adults or grandparents to publicly promise to help and support your child or children as they grow up within our community.
Every ceremony is different and your own choice of content will ensure that it is a truly unique celebration that you and your family will remember as your child grows older. Please see our framework for the ceremony structure and the promises that you can choose from (pdf).
You may choose to personalise the ceremony by including a reading of verse or a suitable piece of prose; we have a selection of suggested readings (pdf). Please note however, that due to legal constraints the piece must have no religious content and be approved at least seven days prior to your ceremony.
The ceremony will last approximately 20-30 minutes and is delivered by a member of the Surrey registration staff. A commemorative certificate will be presented to mark the event.
Any parent, legal guardian or person with parental responsibility of the child may organise a naming ceremony and you can choose to hold it at any one of our licensed venues or at one of our register offices in Guildford, Leatherhead or Weybridge. A fee is payable for this service.
Booking a ceremony
Bookings are taken strictly on a first come, first served basis. You can request a call from our ceremonies office by completing our:
Our ceremonies office will then check availability and will contact you by telephone within two working days.
Files available to download
- Framework for the performance of naming ceremonies (151.8 KB)
- Suggested naming ceremony readings (50.7 KB)