Skip to main content

Moving to Surrey - frequently asked questions

What's in my area?

For national organisations, take a look at the National Council for Voluntary Organisations' website.

Find out local information about your area, including nearby services and facilities using our Find my nearest feature.

Where's my local library?

Check out the contact details and opening times of your local library. If you want to find out more about our libraries, contact us on 01483 543599. You can renew items online or by calling the Contact Centre on 0300 200 1001.

Parking permits, what are they and how do I apply?

There are two kinds of parking permit. The Blue badge scheme for registered blind people and people with certain disabilities. There are also permits giving priority for residents and local businesses wishing to park in Controlled parking zones (CPZ).

Where do I pay my council tax?

Council tax is collected by the district and borough councils in Surrey. If you have a query or comment on your council tax bill, please contact your local district or borough council.

How much is my council tax/ which band am I in?

For answers to this and other related information, see: Council tax bands - Valuation Office Agency.

How do I get on the electoral roll?

This service is provided by a district or borough council. provides a quick link to information about the electoral roll and electoral registration.

Who is my County Councillor?

Find out all about your local councillor.

What is my nearest local primary or secondary school?

See our schools database for a searchable list of schools in Surrey (by postcode, town, type etc.) and links to their inspection reports. Here you will find general information about Surrey's schools, including links to the Department for Education website, so that you can find out about a school's attainment and performance records.

Where can I find out about childcare?

All you need to know about childcare and early education within Surrey.

Can you tell what day my refuse is collected?

Regular rubbish collection is a service offered by district and borough councils.

Where can I get a wheelie bin/recycling bin?

This service is supplied by your local borough or district council.

Additional information

Visit Surrey-i to find out more about your local area and to view maps showing your nearest services. provide more information about moving to your new home.