Libraries reopening news and updates
44 libraries are now open for public access allowing customers to browse, borrow, return items, use the computers and collect their requests (reservations). How to request a title. Customers can also continue to make use of the new Ready Reads service where the library team selects books based on individual preferences.
Frimley Green is offering a click and collect only service. There is no public access into the building. You can return items, collect their requests (reservations) and Ready Reads at the door.
Please check opening hours before you visit as these may vary from previous hours.
Face coverings must be worn inside all library buildings, in line with current Government guidance. To ensure the library remains a safe space to prevent the spread of Coronavirus, a range of measures have been introduced.
Please note: apart from Frimley Green which is offering a Click and Collect only service, all libraries below are now open for public access, allowing you to browse the collections, borrow, return items, collect requests and Ready reads and have limited use of the computers. Check which services have been paused.
If your library is one of the Community Partnered Libraries and is not listed below then it means it is not yet open. We are working with our partners to reopen as soon as possible.
|Library||Opening hours||Open days|
|Addlestone||10am until 2pm||Tuesday to Saturday|
|Ash||10am until 2pm||Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday|
|Ashford||10am until 4pm||Tuesday to Saturday|
|Ashtead||10am until 1pm||Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday|
|Banstead||10am until 2pm||Tuesday to Saturday|
|Bookham||10am until 1pm||Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday|
|Byfleet||10am until 1pm||Tuesday, Friday and Saturday|
|Camberley||10am until 4pm||Monday to Saturday|
|Caterham Hill||10am until 1pm||Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday|
|Caterham Valley||10am until 2pm||Tuesday to Saturday|
|Chertsey||10am until 1pm||Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday|
|Cobham||10am until 1pm||Tuesday to Saturday|
|Cranleigh||10am until 2pm||Tuesday to Saturday|
|Dittons||10am until 2pm||Tuesday to Saturday|
|Dorking||10am until 4pm||Monday to Saturday|
|Egham||10am until 4pm||Tuesday to Saturday|
|Epsom||10am until 4pm||Monday to Saturday|
|Esher||10am until 1pm||Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday|
|Ewell||10am until 2pm||Tuesday to Saturday|
|Farnham||10am until 4pm||Monday to Saturday|
|Frimley Green||10am until 1pm click and collect only||Tuesday, Thursday and Friday|
|Godalming||10am until 4pm||Monday to Saturday|
|Guildford||10am until 4pm||Monday to Saturday|
|Haslemere||10am until 2pm||Tuesday to Saturday|
|Hersham||10am until 1pm||Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday|
|Horley||10am until 2pm||Tuesday to Saturday|
|Horsley||10am until 1pm||Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday|
|Knaphill||10am until 1pm||Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday|
|Leatherhead||10am until 2pm||Tuesday to Saturday|
|Lightwater||2pm until 5pm||Wednesday|
|10am until 1pm||Friday|
|Lingfield||2pm until 5pm||Tuesday Wednesday and Friday|
|10am until 2pm||Saturday|
|Merstham||10am until 1pm||Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday|
|Molesey||10am until 1pm||Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday|
|Oxted||10am until 2pm||Tuesday to Saturday|
|Redhill||10am until 4pm||Monday to Saturday|
|Reigate||10am until 2pm||Tuesday to Saturday|
|Shepperton||10am until 1pm||Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday|
|Stanwell||10am until 1pm||Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday|
|Staines||10am until 4pm||Monday to Saturday|
|Sunbury||10am until 2pm||Tuesday to Saturday|
|Virginia Water||2pm until 5pm||Tuesday|
|6pm until 8pm||Wednesday|
|10am until 12.30pm||Thursday|
|10am until 1pm||Friday and Saturday|
|Walton||10am until 4pm||Monday to Saturday|
|West Byfleet||Currently closed due to flood damage.|
|Weybridge||10am until 4pm||Tuesday to Saturday|
|Woking||10am until 4pm||Monday to Saturday|
Computer access available
Computer access is now available at all the libraries open for Public access.
Computers will be available between 10am and 3.45pm in libraries that close at 4pm and between 10am and 1.45pm at libraries that close at 2pm. Check opening hours.
Scanning facilities will also be available but only at the following libraries: Camberley, Epsom, Godalming, Guildford, Redhill, Staines, Weybridge and Woking. Time limit of 30 minutes on the scanner PC.
Guidelines for computer usage
We are introducing safety and social distancing measures to be able to offer this service. These include:
- Use the hand sanitiser provided at the library entrance before using PCs.
- Please book in advance: on the website, by phone via the Contact Centre or with member of staff at the desk.
- There is no "walk up" service.
- Temporary guest logins will not be available.
- Please collect a clean keyboard and mouse from the counter for your computer session and return it afterwards.
- Limiting the time on the PCs to one hour (speak to staff if you need longer for a government application such as Universal Credit) or 30 minutes for the scanner.
- Limiting the number of PCs in use.
- Only one person per PC (unless you need help).
- Children under 8 must be accompanied by an adult.
- Printing available - please pay for printing by contactless or with exact change (50p minimum).
- Reducing the amount of contact needed - staff at the library will not be able to help you, but there is a Digital Assistance helpline available, Telephone: 0300 200 1008
- Regular cleans of the PC screen, chair arms, chair back and chair control lever.
- Please use the PCs considerately and minimise waiting time for other customers.
What should you do with the books and other items you currently have on loan?
Surrey Libraries are open for business and your Surrey Library books may be due back soon.
Please check if you have books and other items due back, you can:
- Return them to any open library: 39 libraries have reopened.
- Renew them online, via app, or by telephone.
- Put them through a book drop of any of the open libraries. Most libraries have one, and they are open 24/7.
Which services are we now offering?
You will have the choice to:
- Visit 43 Libraries to browse a selection of stock and choose what you want to borrow.
- Use our Click and Collect door service at Frimley Green, allowing customers to return their items, collect Ready Reads and reserved books. However, the public will not be allowed into the buildings for the time being.
- Use the Public PCs and printing. Not at the Click and Collect only libraries given currently no access to the building.
- Request books for free in advance using our reservation service and pick them up from your nearest open library.
- Use our new Ready Reads service: tell us what you like to read, our team will handpick books for you, ready to collect from your nearest open library.
- Ask about our Library Direct Home library service if you or someone you know is a vulnerable member of the community.
Which services are paused at this time?
- Bus Passes and Blue Badges.
- Use of study spaces, seating areas and meeting rooms.
- Face to face events and Digital Buddy sessions.
Which in-branch services are now available online?
- Now available on-line via our Facebook and YouTube channel: Rhymetimes, storytimes and craft activities.
- Look out for our new online summer events programme.
- Join the library online for free.
- Book a basic IT help session.
- Access a large range of free eBooks, eAudio, eMagazines and eResources.
Safety and social distancing measures
We are introducing comprehensive safety and social distancing measures. These will include:
- face coverings - following Government updates, from 8 August it will be mandatory for customers to wear a face covering when visiting the library, so please help to keep each other safe by adhering to this. If you are one of our customers who are exempt from wearing a face covering, we will be very happy to welcome you as normal. For more information please visit: Government Face covering guidance
- rigorous cleaning in our libraries and hand sanitiser provided at library entrances.
- limiting the number of customers in our libraries at any one time.
- clear signs asking you to observe social distancing
- protective screens at counters where you need to interact with our staff
- separating returned items from the rest of the stock for 72 hours in line with Public Health England advice
- reducing the amount of contact needed. Services which require close contact such as event and activities, use of public PCs and bus passes will be temporarily paused or moved online.
- introducing a new self-issue system giving you the option to borrow items via your smart phone in the libraries that are open.
Visiting Surrey Libraries with confidence
When you arrive
There may be a queue, please be patient, staff will be on hand to assist you.
When you enter and exit
Please use the hand sanitiser provided or your own sanitiser to clean your hands.
Moving around the library
Please follow the directional arrows to guide you around the space. Always remember to maintain a safe distance.
When you browse
Please select your items quickly to help minimise queues. Go on your own and limit your visit to 30 minutes if you can.
When you borrow and return
Please use the self-service machines or your smart phone for borrow, return and renewals. Remember our staff will always be happy to help.
Make payments by card wherever possible. Cash can be taken through self-service machines.