SPAL and its proposed transfer to the charity NewSPAL
The Surrey Performing Arts Library (SPAL) is currently housed at Ewell Library, following its move from Denbies Wine Estate in summer 2018. The future of the service and how best to keep it operating with reduced funding has been under discussion since 2017 when a public consultation found there was considerable support for a service that is independent of Surrey County Council (SCC) and local government budget pressures.
A charity, NewSPAL, was formed in 2018 with the intention of taking on the service. NewSPAL has support from many of the library's current users and as a charity would be able to pursue a wide range of funding opportunities which are not currently available.
SCC asked NewSPAL to complete a business plan for taking over the library. As the plan would change how it would operate, you are invited to give your views on the proposals. Further details of these can be seen in the attachment below.
The key proposals are:
- Transferring the day to day running of the SPAL collection to NewSPAL
- The SPAL collection would initially be loaned to NewSPAL, it would be transferred permanently once requirements are met and the charity is financially stable.
- Moving to a new and accessible location in Woking and changing the opening hours.
- Making the collection available to the rest of the UK and providing no special rates for Surrey users.
- Changing charges and pricing structures.
- New collection and delivery arrangements.
What happens now?
We are inviting you to give your views on these proposals and how they would affect your use of SPAL. The responses will be considered by SCC's Cabinet when it evaluates NewSPAL's business plan and before any final decisions are made.
Please have your say on these proposals online. Paper copies of the consultation are also available in libraries on request. These can be returned to your local library or sent to the following address: SPAL Consultation, Community Connections, Redhill Library, 18-20 London Road, Warwick Quadrant, Redhill, Surrey, RH1 1NN.
This consultation closes on Sunday 3 February 2019.
Files available to download
- Comparison of service offers Surrey Performing Arts Library and NewSPAL (385.6 KB)
Details of the changes to provision if the proposed handover to NewSPAL is approved.