What can I find in the library?
- Books and eBooks - all the best books around - from board books for babies, picture books and beginner readers to a wide range of children's fiction for older readers.
- Talking Books on CD and eAudiobooks - to listen to on-the-go.
- DVDs - we have a great range of DVDs for children and families. These must be borrowed on an adult library card and there is a small hire charge.
- Information and reference books - we have books on all subjects for hobbies, interests and homework. Our children's online reference shelf gives access to a wide range of reference and information sources.
- Computers and Internet - children are very welcome to use library computers, but if they are under 16 years of age they will need a parent or carer to either sign a permission form our use the computer with them.
How many items can I borrow and for how long?
You can borrow up to 20 items from the library, with a maximum of six DVDs and 12 talking books at any one time.
Books and talking books may be borrowed for three weeks. As long as they haven't been requested by another library user you can renew your books, either by visiting the library, by email or telephone, or online.
There are no charges on overdue children's books borrowed on a children's or young adult's ticket.
What if I can't find what I want?
If you can't find a particular book at your local library, or if it is being borrowed by someone else, you can request a copy from another library. Just ask a member of staff, or reserve it yourself online if you prefer.
It doesn't cost anything to reserve a children's book on a children's library card.
What if I need help finding books and information
If you ever need help finding a particular book or some information, you can:
- Ask a member of staff for help.
- Have a look at the library catalogue either in the library or at home.
- Look at the homework help section for useful links to websites that will help with your homework.
- if you need an answer to a particular question, why not ask Digital Services?
What else happens at the library?
- Storytimes and Rhymetimes.
- Pebble Reading Adventure for the under fives.
- Children's reading groups.
- Holiday activities, including the annual summer reading challenge.
- Visits by authors and storytellers.
Ask your local library for details.