The Surrey Libraries' Children's Book Award celebrates the best current fiction written for seven to nine year olds.
Select from the links below:
- The shortlist for the 2017 Award
- Champion schools
- How schools can be involved in the Award
- The 2016 winner
The shortlist for the 2017 Award
The five great books that will be contesting the 2017 Children’s Book Award are:
- The Boy and the Globe by Tony Bradman
- Eddy Stone and the Epic Holiday Mash-Up by Simon Cherry
- Aubrey and the Terrible Yoot by Horatio Clare
- The Bolds to the Rescue by Julian Clary
- Dave Pigeon by Swapna Haddow and Sheena Dempsey
The 10 champion schools whose Year 3 and 4 pupils will be taking part in the 2017 Award are:
- Cranleigh Primary
- Kingfield Primary, Woking
- Langshott Primary, Horley
- Ongar Place Primary, Addlestone
- Ripley C of E Primary
- St. Bartholomew’s C of E Primary, Haslemere
- St. John’s C of E Primary, Dorking
- Sandcross School, Reigate
- Surrey Hills C of E Primary, Dorking
- Walton Oak Primary
Pupils will read the shortlisted books, meet one of the authors or illustrators, have the opportunity to visit their local library, vote for their favourite book and take part in the Award Ceremony at which the winner will be announced.
Last year’s Champion Schools said of the experience:
- It was a wonderful, positive experience and something we would love to do again!
- I think we should celebrate that children who ordinarily aren't children who enjoy reading or would select a book to read became enthralled with the competition element and loved having the author visit, explaining how writing isn't easy for him and something he has to practise.
- We have thoroughly enjoyed taking part this year. It has been a wonderful experience for the children so thank you for giving us the opportunity.
- Many thanks again for this fabulous opportunity. The children and staff have immersed themselves in the project wonderfully!
You can see what the Champion Schools got up to on the Book Award blog.
How schools can be involved in the Award
Although we are only able to work with 10 Champion Schools each year, our Award Shadowing offer is open to all schools. Shadowing Schools will be able to:
- Download promotional materials
- Download reading guides
- Buy copies of the shortlisted titles at a 25% discount from Peters Educational Books (PDF)
- Contribute to the Surrey Libraries' Children's Book Award blog
- Vote for their favourite book
- Arrange a visit to their local library
If your school is interested in shadowing the 2017 Award, please email your details to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The 2016 winner
The winner of Surrey Libraries' 2016 Children's Book Award was Wilf the Mighty Worrier Saves the World by Georgia Pritchett.