The Surrey Libraries' Children's Book Award celebrates the best current fiction written for seven to nine year olds.
The Shortlist for the 2018 Award has been announced!
The 5 shortlisted books are:
- The Bookshop Girl by Sylvia Bishop
- The New Adventures of Mr Toad: A Race for Toad Hall by Tom Moorhouse
- Me and Mister P by Maria Farrer
- The No. 1 Car Spotter Fights the Factory by Atinuke
- A Jar of Pickles and a Pinch of Justice by Chitra Soundar
We have selected 10 Champion Schools whose Year 3 and 4 pupils will be involved in the 2018 Award and help us choose the winner.
The 2018 Champion schools are:
- Busbridge Junior School
- Hale Primary School
- Holly Lodge Primary School
- Maybury Primary School
- Park Mead Primary School
- Riverbridge Primary School
- Send Primary School
- Spelthorne School
- St John's Primary School
- Wonersh and Shamley Green Primary School
Last year’s Champion Schools said of the experience:
- It created a ripple across the whole school
- The Children’s Book Award has had a massive impact, it was amazing
- The children were very excited about taking part and have been recommending books to each other as a result of the project.
- We really enjoyed reading the books and the children loved the experience. Our author visit was a particular highlight.
You can see what the Champion Schools got up to on the book award blog.
How all schools can be involved in the Award
Although we are only able to work with 10 Champion Schools each year, our Award Shadowing offer is open to all schools. Shadowing Schools will be able to:
- Download promotional materials from January 2018.
- Download reading guides from January 2018.
- Contribute to the Surrey Libraries' Children's Book Award blog
- Vote for their favourite book.
- Arrange a visit to their local library
If your school is interested in shadowing the 2018 Award, please email your details to: email@example.com.
Materials will be available to download from early January 2018.
The 2017 winner
The winner of Surrey Libraries' 2017 Children's Book Award was Dave Pigeon by Swapna Haddow; illustrated by Sheena Dempsey.
Congratulations to Swapna and Sheena (and, of course, Dave), who were presented with their Awards at a celebratory Ceremony at Dorking Halls on Thursday 25 May 2017.