The winner of the Surrey Libraries’ Children’s Book Award 2017 is…
Dave Pigeon by Swapna Haddow, illustrated by Sheena Dempsey.
Congratulations to Swapna and Sheena (and, of course, Dave), who were presented with their Awards at a celebratory Ceremony at Dorking Halls on Thursday 25 May 2017.
Thank you to all of the shortlisted authors, illustrators and publishers, and especially to the children and teachers of the 10 Champion schools, for supporting the Award so enthusiastically.
The Surrey Libraries' Children's Book Award celebrates the best current fiction written for seven to nine year olds.
Select from the links below:
The shortlist for the 2017 Award
The five great books that contested the 2017 Children’s Book Award were:
- The Boy and the Globe by Tony Bradman
- Eddy Stone and the Epic Holiday Mash-Up by Simon Cherry
- Aubrey and the Terrible Yoot by Horatio Clare
- The Bolds to the Rescue by Julian Clary
- Dave Pigeon by Swapna Haddow and Sheena Dempsey
The 10 champion schools, whose Year 3 and 4 pupils took part in the 2017 Award, were:
- Cranleigh Primary
- Kingfield Primary, Woking
- Langshott Primary, Horley
- Ongar Place Primary, Addlestone
- Ripley C of E Primary
- St. Bartholomew’s C of E Primary, Haslemere
- St. John’s C of E Primary, Dorking
- Sandcross School, Reigate
- Surrey Hills C of E Primary, Dorking
- Walton Oak Primary
Pupils read the shortlisted books, met one of the authors or illustrators, had the opportunity to visit their local library, vote for their favourite book and took part in the Award Ceremony.
2016s Champion Schools said of the experience:
- It was a wonderful, positive experience and something we would love to do again!
- I think we should celebrate that children who ordinarily aren't children who enjoy reading or would select a book to read became enthralled with the competition element and loved having the author visit, explaining how writing isn't easy for him and something he has to practise.
- We have thoroughly enjoyed taking part this year. It has been a wonderful experience for the children so thank you for giving us the opportunity.
- Many thanks again for this fabulous opportunity. The children and staff have immersed themselves in the project wonderfully!
You can see what the Champion Schools got up to on the Book Award blog.