Children's Book Award - Champion schools
This year we had an unprecedented number of schools applying to take part in this year's award. With great difficulty we selected 10 schools. The Champion Schools selected were:
- Cranleigh Church of England Primary School
- Manorcroft Primary School, Egham
- Southfield Park Primary School, Epsom
- St Ignatius Catholic Primary School, Sunbury
- St Joseph's Catholic Primary School, Dorking
- St Johns Primary School, Redhill
- St Peter's Church of England Primary School, Farnham
- Stanwell Fields Church of England Primary School
- Sythwood Primary School, Woking
- Tatsfield Primary
Offer to Champion schools
This sets out our offer to schools which take part in Surrey Libraries' Children's Book Award as Champion Schools. Any school applying to become a Champion School consents to abide by this agreement.
Surrey County Council Library Service will provide to each Champion School at no charge:
- Five copies of each shortlisted title
- One half-day visit from a shortlisted author or illustrator (dependent on availability)
- A guidance pack for teachers on taking part in the Book Award
- Promotional materials for schools
- Guaranteed seats at the Award ceremony for at least 30 children who have taken part in the Award plus accompanying adults
- An opportunity for participating schools to visit their local library or for a member of library staff to visit the school
- An opportunity for children in all participating classes to join the library
Champion schools agree to:
- Ensure the year group(s) and number of children stated in their application form have the opportunity to take part
- Assign a main contact who will work with SCC library service throughout the process, including arrangements for author/illustrator visits
- Record the process in a way which can be presented at the Award ceremony. Previous champion schools have presented art work or video presentations showing how the children engaged with the process of reading, selecting and nominating their winning title(s).
- Encourage children to write book reviews or to produce art work to be added to the SCC website
- Provide transport to bring their pupils to the Award ceremony.
- Support library membership by arranging a library visit or visits and encouraging children and their parents to join the library.