Surrey Libraries' Children's Book Award
The Surrey Libraries' Children's Book Award celebrates the best current fiction written for seven to nine year olds.
The winner of the Children's Book Award 2019 has been announced
The winner of the 2019 Surrey Libraries' Children's Book Award is "Ask Oscar" by Alan MacDonald. Congratulations to Alan, who was presented with the Award by Deputy Lord Lieutenant Sir Richard Stilgoe, at our ceremony at Dorking Halls.
The five books shortlisted for 2019
You can see what the Champion Schools got up to on the Book Award blog.
We have selected the 10 Champion Schools whose Year 3 and 4 pupils will be involved in the 2019 Award and help us choose the winner, and we are very much looking forward to working with them over the coming months.
The Champion Schools for 2019 are:
- Boxgrove Primary School, Guildford
- Holy Family Catholic Primary School, Addlestone
- Nutfield Church Primary School
- Ottershaw C of E Junior School
- Riverview C of E Primary School, Ewell
- Shawley Community Primary School, Epsom
- St. Joseph's Catholic Primary School, Guildford
- The Grove Primary School, Frimley
- The Hermitage School, Woking
- West Ashtead Primary School
Last year's Champion Schools said of the experience:
- We really enjoyed reading all of the books and loved having Chitra Soundar visit our school.
- Thank you for providing the children with an author visit. They were absolutely amazed by Maria Farrer and loved listening to all she had to say. We have enjoyed reading a variety of books which we may not have read without entering the award. Thank you!
- We have thoroughly enjoyed the experience. The children have been so enthusiastic about the award and really loved our 'Election Day.'
- A very different set of books to cater for all tastes
- We have all enjoyed looking at these books and are looking to include them in our curriculum plan for next year. The Book Award was great
You can see what the Champion Schools get up to on the Book Award blog.
Find out more about being a Champion School
How all schools can be involved in the Award
Although we are only able to work with 10 Champion Schools each year, our Award Shadowing offer is open to all schools. Shadowing Schools will be able to:
- Download promotional materials
- Download reading guides
- Contribute to the Surrey Libraries' Children's Book Award blog.
- Vote for their favourite book
- Arrange a visit to their local library.
If your school is interested in shadowing the 2019 Award, please email your details to: firstname.lastname@example.org.