We are delighted to announce our shortlist and Champion schools for the Surrey Libraries' Book Award 2020.
- Hotel Flamingo by Alex Milway
- Picklewitch and Jack by Claire Barker
- Night of the Living Ted by Barry Hutchison
- Baker Street Academy: Sherlock and the Baker Street Curse by Sam Hearn
- The Boy who Lived with Dragons by Andy Shepherd
This year we had an unprecedented number of schools applying to take part in this year's award. With great difficulty we have selected 10 schools. The Champion Schools selected are:
- Cranleigh Church of England Primary School
- Manorcroft Primary School, Egham
- Southfield Park Primary School, Epsom
- St Ignatius Catholic Primary School, Sunbury
- St Joseph's Catholic Primary School, Dorking
- St Johns Primary School, Redhill
- St Peter's Church of England Primary School, Farnham
- Stanwell Fields Church of England Primary School
- Sythwood Primary School, Woking
- Tatsfield Primary
These schools will work with their year 3 and year 4 classes during the Spring Term 2020 to read the five shortlisted books for this year's award and vote for their favourite. All Champion Schools will be given five copies of each shortlisted title, plus guidance and promotional materials. Each school will also receive a visit from one of the shortlisted authors or illustrators, will be invited to visit their local library, and will be able to participate in the celebratory Award Ceremony on Thursday 21 May 2020 at The Dorking Halls, at which the winner will be announced.
How all schools can be involved in the Award
Although we are only able to work with a limited number of Champion Schools each year, our Award Shadowing offer is open to all schools. Shadowing Schools will be able to:
- Download promotional materials (available from January 2020)
- Download reading guides (available from January 2020)
- Vote for their favourite book.
- Arrange a visit to their local library.
If your school is interested in shadowing the 2020 Award, please email your details to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The 2019 winner
The winner of Surrey Libraries' 2019 Children's Book Award was Ask Oscar by Alan MacDonald. Have a look at highlights from our 2019 ceremony