Surrey libraries has a special collection at Epsom library of over 9,000 art books and 6,000 books covering many aspects of collecting and antiques. See a glimpse of our collection on Pinterest. We also have Oxford Art Online. Here are a few examples of the many areas we cover:
- Art history, the fine and decorative arts,
- artists' monographs,
- architecture, sculpture , and design,
- fashion and photography,
- antiques and collectables, which includes ceramics, furniture , glass, jewellery , coins, stamps and medals, dolls and toys and many other collectable items.
How you can access the collection
Members of Surrey libraries can borrow books from the collection by:
- Visiting Epsom Library
- Making a reservation at your local library
- Selecting and requesting items to be delivered to your preferred branch using the online catalogue (there is a small charge for this)
- Making an information request in any library or online via Digital Services
Oxford Art Online and many other resources are available to library members from home via our online reference shelf.
Come and see us at Epsom library
Have a browse around our collection. As well as the books on our open shelves, we also have a large number of titles in our storeroom. So If you don't find what you want, please ask us for some help. We are more than happy to retrieve any specific titles or books on a particular subject. Any book you borrow from Epsom can be returned to your local library.
We can't always spend a lot of time assisting you with research but we can take an information request and get back to you.
Before your visit you can check what is available through our online catalogue.
Please note: some items are for reference and can only be used at Epsom Library.
Surrey: home of famous artists
- Piper, John Egerton Christmas (1903–1992), 'artist and designer, was born on 13 December 1903 at Alresford, Ashley Road, Epsom, Surrey'.
- Sutherland, Graham Vivian (1903–1980), 'Sutherland went as a day boy to Epsom College, Surrey'.
- Pasmore, (Edwin John) Victor (1908–1998), 'was born on 3 December 1908 at Chelsham House, Chelsham Road, Surrey'.
Extracts taken from articles in Oxford Dictionary of National Biography.