On 12 July 2019 the High Court granted to the council an interim injunction forbidding persons unknown occupying land and/or depositing waste or fly-tipping on land from:
- Setting-up an encampment on Chobham Common without written permission from the Local Planning Authority or planning permission granted by a planning inspector;
- Occupying any part of Chobham Common for residential purposes (temporary or otherwise) including with caravans, mobile homes, vehicles and residential paraphernalia without written permission from the Local Planning Authority or planning permission granted by a planning inspector;
- Bringing on Chobham Common any vehicle whether for the purposes of disposal of waste and materials or otherwise, other than when driving through the County of Surrey or in compliance with the Parking Orders regulating the use of car parks or with written permission from the Local Planning Authority or express permission from the owners of the Land;
- Depositing any personal, domestic or commercial waste and/or fly-tipping on Chobham Common.
The Interim Injunction contains a Penal Notice which means anyone breaching it may be held in contempt of court and may be imprisoned, fined or have their assets seized.
The Interim Injunction remains in force until the seventh day following the final hearing.
The matter will be listed for a final hearing on the first open date after 1 November 2019 at which interested parties will be entitled to attend and make representations.
The Interim Injunction Order, with Claim form, Notice of Application and evidence in support, are available below.
Hard copies are also available for inspection at:
Surrey County Council
County Hall - Reception
Kingston upon Thames Surrey
Files available to download
- Injunction Order regarding persons unknown (469.2 KB)
Injunction Order between Surrey County Council and persons unknown, occupying and dispositing of waste or fly tipping on Chobham Common.
- High Court Claim Form (310.4 KB)
Surrey County Council's claim against persons unknown occupying and depositing of waste or fly tipping on Chobham Common.
- High Court of Justice - Application notice relating to Chobham Common (225.5 KB)
Application notice relating to persons unknown occupying and depositing of waste or fly tipping on Chobham Common.
- Witness statement of Ian Horgan (3.8 MB)
Ian Horgan's witness statement and exhibits, relating to High Court Interim Injunction of Chobham Common.
- Witness Statement of James Adler (856.3 KB)
James Adler's witness statement and exhibits, relating to High Court Interim Injunction of Chobham Common.