The Surrey Waste Local Plan 2019-2033
The Surrey Waste Local Plan sets out how and where different types of waste will be managed in Surrey in the future. It sets out the planning policy framework for the development of waste management facilities and is used in determining planning applications. The current plan has been in place since 2008 and needs to be updated. We have produced a list of frequently asked questions (PDF).
During preparation of the new Plan, we gathered views from residents, businesses and stakeholders in the Issues and Options Consultation, the Regulation 18 Draft Plan Consultation and the Regulation 19 Period for Representations. This is in accordance with the adopted Statement of Community Involvement and the Town and Country Planning (Local Planning) (England) Regulations 2012. The council's 'Submission Surrey Local Plan' was agreed by Cabinet on Tuesday 18 December 2018.
Surrey Waste Local Plan Examination
On Friday 12 April 2019, Surrey County Council submitted the Submission Surrey Waste Local Plan to the Planning Inspectorate for public examination. Included within the submission documents were:
- Surrey Waste Local Plan Part 1 Policies (PDF)
- Surrey Waste Local Plan Part 2 Sites (PDF)
- Regulation 22 Consultation Statement (April 2019) (PDF)
- Background and assessment documents
You can view all documents submitted as part of the Submission Surrey Waste Local Plan on our Submission Library page. This submission library provides access to all supporting evidence and technical assessments relevant to the submitted Local Plan.
We also produced a Non-Technical Summary (PDF) for the Plan.
The examination hearings were held between 17 and 26 September 2019. You can view all examination documents on the Surrey Waste Local Plan Examination Library page.
Consultation on proposed main modifications, updated Environmental and Sustainability Report and proposed changes to policies maps
The council invited comments on the proposed main modifications, updated Environmental and Sustainability Report and proposed modifications to policies maps between 13 January 2020 and 23 February 2020. The consultation is now closed.
Further information on this consultation, including the documents consulted on, the representations received and the council's response to these can be found on the Proposed main modifications consultation webpage.
Surrey County Council has received the Inspector's Report on the Surrey Waste Local Plan. The report is published below. This marks the end of the independent examination of the council's submitted Local Plan. The Inspector's Report includes the main modifications she has recommended in order to make the Plan sound and legally compliant and capable of adoption.
- Surrey Waste Local Plan Notice of Receipt of Inspector's Report (PDF)
- Surrey Waste Local Plan Inspector's Report (PDF)
- Surrey Waste Local Plan Inspector's Report Appendix - Schedule of Main Modifications (PDF)
Cabinet will now decide whether to recommend that full council adopts the new Plan. This will most probably be at its meeting on 29 September.
If you have any queries, please contact the Minerals and Waste Planning Policy Team using the contact details below:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Post: Minerals and Waste Planning Policy, Room 385, County Hall, Penrhyn Road, Kingston upon Thames, KT1 2DW
- Phone: 03456 009 009
Files available to download
- Surrey Waste Local Plan Frequently Asked Questions V8 (PDF)
This is a list of frequently asked questions in regards to the SWLP and responses provided by the council.
In this section
- Surrey Waste Local Plan 2018 consultation - timescales, issues and options
- Surrey Waste Local Draft Plan Consultation (Regulation 18)
- Surrey Waste Local Plan Period for Representations (Regulation 19)
- Surrey Waste Local Plan Submission Library
- Surrey Waste Local Plan Examination Library
- Surrey Waste Local Plan Consultation - proposed main modifications