How to measure distance on the map
You can use the interactive map to measure the distance between two points or along a route. The controls that you need for this are in the measure section on the left of the map.
We don't recommend using the measuring tool with Geographers' A-Z maps. You can tell if the interactive map is displaying a Geographers' A-Z map because the bottom edge of the map will contain the words "Reproduced by permission of Geographers' A-Z Map Co Ltd".
How to measure the distance between two points
- Make sure that the map shows both of the points that you want to measure between (you may need to move or zoom the map to do this)
- Click on the distance option. The background of the option will turn yellow to indicate that you have selected it. A yellow section will appear at the top of the map showing two boxes; total and segment (both will be set to zero to start).
- Click on the first point on the map. There will be a short pause and then a red dot will appear on the map where you clicked. This is the starting point for your measurement.
- Click on the second point on the map. There will be another short pause and then a red line will be drawn from the starting point to where you have just clicked. The yellow area at the top of the map will display the distance between the two points.
- If you want to measure another distance, click the reset distances option and then repeat the steps above.
How to measure the distance along a route
- Follow the instructions above to measure the first section of the route (to the route's first change of direction).
- Instead of resetting the measuring tool, click on the map at the route's next change of direction. This will measure the second section of the route and add it to the total displayed in the yellow area at the top of the map.
- Continue clicking on the map at each point the route changes direction. The yellow area will continue to update, showing you the distance for that section of the route and the total for the route.