How do I consult the Surrey Historic Environment Record?
Coronavirus - Historic Environment Record
The Surrey Historic Environment Record continues to operate and offer most of the usual search and enquiry services despite the restrictions imposed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
At present, we are unable to offer visits to consult items held in our office at County Hall. Please do not send enquiries by post. Use the online form or email: email@example.com
Enquiries to the Surrey Historic Environment Record (HER) are welcome, either by email or online enquiry form. The record is managed by the Historic Environment Planning team and is based at County Hall, Kingston-upon-Thames.
The HER is a computerised database, as well as a reference library containing a range of publications and unpublished material, which are available for consultation by appointment. Resources available to researchers include:
- The main HER electronic database, allowing rapid searches to be made by geographical area, historical period, types of site or find, and many other criteria.
- Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 maps covering the whole area of Surrey, marked with SMR locations and areas of archaeological interest, plus copies of other historical maps.
- Over 1,000 unpublished archaeological contractors and consultants fieldwork reports (also known as "grey literature").
- Local journals and publications.
- Information on Scheduled Monuments within Surrey.
A completed, signed enquiry form must be received by the HER before any request for information can be answered. An online form is available via the link below. Please be as specific as possible about the information you require when completing the form.
There is no charge for using the HER unless the data are being collected for commercial purposes. For public research, educational or personal interest purposes, a charge may be applied in circumstances when the requirement is of a scale that will take members of the HER team more than two hours to complete.
The HER guidelines for users provide more information about the terms and conditions of use of HER data.
Summary versions of most HER data are also available to search online via the Exploring Surrey's Past website.
Files available to download
- Historic Environment Record - Enquiry Form (PDF)
The form to use if you want to request information from the HER by post