Enquiries to the Surrey Historic Environment Record (HER) are welcome, either by email or by post. The record is managed by the Historic Environment Planning team and is housed within County Hall, Kingston-upon-Thames.
The HER is a computerised database, as well as a reference library containing a range of publications and unpublished material, which are available for consultation by appointment. Resources available to researchers include:
- The main HER electronic database, allowing rapid searches to be made by geographical area, historical period, types of site or find, and many other criteria.
- Ordnance Survey 1:10,000 maps covering the whole area of Surrey, marked with SMR locations and areas of archaeological interest, plus copies of other historical maps.
- Over 1000 unpublished archaeological contractors and consultants fieldwork reports (also known as "grey literature").
- Local journals and publications.
- Information on Scheduled Monuments within Surrey.
There is no charge for consultation of the HER unless the data is being collected for commercial purposes. For public research, educational or personal interest purposes no charge is made for consultations in person, except a nominal fee for photocopying and printing facilities.
If you would like to visit the HER, an appointment can be arranged by contacting the HER Officer. If you wish to request information by post, please complete an enquiry form and take note of the Surrey HER Guidelines for Users (both forms can be downloaded below as PDF documents). Alternatively an online form is available below. Please be as specific as possible about the information you require.
Please note that it may not be possible to answer time consuming or complicated requests by letter or e-mail, and these will require a visit to the HER in person. A completed, signed enquiry form must be received by the HER before any request for information can be answered.
The HER is also available to search online through the Exploring Surrey's Past project.