Surrey has an economy that is international in outlook. Many Surrey businesses trade around the world, competing with international firms. The county is also home to many international businesses, such as BP, Siemens, Pfizer, Unilever, Proctor and Gamble, McLaren, Electronic Arts, Toyota, Sony and Samsung Electronics, which have chosen to take advantage of Surrey's economic advantages.
The county council is committed to ensuring that the Surrey economy remains strong. We are working with partners to ensure that Surrey is a competitive and attractive environment for international businesses.
International trade is recognised as one of the most effective ways to support business growth. Companies that trade internationally are more productive, achieve higher growth rates, are more innovative and create higher skilled jobs than firms that do not trade internationally.
The following organisations offer advice and support for Surrey businesses looking to trade overseas:
UK Trade and Investment (UKTI)
UKTI works with UK-based businesses to promote their success in international markets and encourage overseas companies to invest in the UK. UKTI provide advice, information and practical assistance on all aspects of international trade, including:
- An export 'health check' to assess trade development needs
- Bespoke market and sector research
- A database of regularly updated business opportunities
- Personalised email alerts informing businesses about relevant opportunities and developments
- Detailed advice and support through international trade advisers and through the Passport to Export and Gateway to Global Growth programmes
- Market entry support, including overseas trade missions and visits.
See the UKTI website for more information and contact details.
Surrey Chambers of Commerce
Surrey Chambers of Commerce provides a range of services, including networking and business support. Surrey Chambers of Commerce aims to encourage potential exporters to explore overseas markets and existing exporters to increase their current sales.
Surrey Chambers of Commerce provides direct support to local businesses with various aspects of international trade including:
- Advice and information
- A translation service
- Country fact files.
See the Surrey Chambers of Commerce website for more information and contact details.
The Federation of Small Businesses (FSB)
The FSB is the UK's largest campaigning pressure group promoting the interests of the self-employed and owners of small firms. It has 200,000 members across 33 regions and 194 branches nationally.
The FSB is active locally and can signpost businesses to information and advice on international trade.
See the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB) website for more information and contact details.
The Institute of Directors (IoD)
The IoD is Europe's largest membership organisation for business leaders. The Surrey branch of the IoD offers information and advice on doing business abroad. Members of the IoD can:
- Obtain lists of companies, financial details, and market research for many jurisdictions outside of the UK via the IoD's Business Information Service.
- Call Directors' Law Express for answers to queries on employment, company or commercial law in the UK or Europe.
- Get help with a proposal or tender for a contract in the EU from the Director's Advisory Service.
See the Institute of Directors (IoD) website for more information and contact details.