This Surrey flagship site has been a well-known and much loved space for public use for many years situated above Chilworth and Albury villages outside Guildford. It is right in the heart of the Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty (AONB) with large areas of woodland, some of them ancient, and chalk downland on the lower grassy slopes.
Please take care of our countryside and open spaces. Take note of the Countryside Code.
Newlands Corner is managed by Surrey County Council on behalf of the Albury Estate who own the land. We look after public access including the Discovery Centre, general site management and litter bins, large car park and visitor services including waymarked walking trails. Find out about Improvements to Newlands Corner.
You will find information about how this site is managed for conservation and the wildlife to look out for at Surrey Wildlife Trust.
- Accessible parking spaces in car park
- Accessible picnic benches
- Accessible toilet facilities
- Easy access trail from the Discovery Centre
- Large free car park
- The Discovery Centre - find out what Surrey countryside has to offer (due to open September 2021)
- Natural play trail
- Bus route 25 from Guildford every 90-120 minutes approximately
- Cafe window serving food, drinks and ice cream
- Many picnic benches and memorial seats
- Disabled access parking spaces, easy access route, picnic benches and toilet facilities
- Self-guided walking routes
There are many public footpaths and bridleways available, some of them steep and sometimes slippery on the chalk surface.
There is a sit down cafe opposite the entrance to Newlands Corner, the Plucky Pheasant.
- Great views to the Tillingbourne Valley and beyond to the Greensand Ridge and the South Downs
- North Downs Way National Trail runs right through Newlands
- Varied walking and cycling trails
- Wildlife watching
- Natural play on a woodland trail
- Large areas of open space
- Dog walking - under effective control
- Family adventure and picnics
- Long distance walks to Silent Pool to the east and St Martha's Hill and Norman church to the west
Nearest Postcode for site, What3Words and O/S map reference
Car Park location
There are two car parks to use:
- Albury Downs main car park, GU4 8SE
- White Lane car park, GU5 9BQ
Self-guided walking routes
There are two waymarked trails at Newlands Corner, the Deer and the Dormouse.
Most of the Dormouse trail is wheelchair/buggy accessible, but not the section that goes to the viewpoint. Follow the colour coded routes on the information boards in each car park and the waymarks en route.
Take a photo where you see the media point and share with us on our social media channels @ExploreSurreyUK.
If you need to get in touch to tell us about any issues at Newlands Corner
Environmental designations of Newlands Corner and what they mean
The Surrey Hills Area of Outstanding Beauty (AONB) covers a quarter of the county of Surrey. The AONB was designated for conservation due to its significant landscape value in 1958 and enjoys levels of protection from development.
Ancient Woodlands are areas of persistent undisturbed woodland that have survived since 1600 in England, they are home to many species of plants, fungi and insects so of great benefit to biodiversity.