Coronavirus: update 1 April 2020
Powers have not yet been given in England to close Public Rights of Way. Please follow government guidelines for daily exercise, social distancing and unnecessary travel and respect homes and farm buildings when walking nearby.
The Countryside Access Team are currently homeworking and have limited access to resources. Due to this, and current restrictions on unnecessary travel, we are currently only able to deal with Priority 1 level issues. For further details see Public Rights of Way Maintenance and Enforcement Priority Statement May 2018 (pdf).
Report a right of way problem or general enquiry
To report a specific problem on a public right of way or to make a general enquiry, please use our online form.
Please note: the information you submit will be used by Surrey County Council and partners, which include parish councils and local volunteers, to investigate and resolve the reported problem.
We prioritise all reports carefully and deal with immediate and significant safety issues first. At the present time, due to high numbers of reports, we are only able to deal with priority 1 and 2 issues. Priority 3, 4 and 5 issues will still be recorded and if resources allow, staff or volunteers will investigate. Please see our Maintenance and Enforcement Priority Statement below which sets out our priorities 1-5.
If you have an issue requiring immediate action on a public right of way contact either:
- Surrey County Council during normal office hours on 0300 200 1003. Our Contact Centre will contact relevant staff immediately. If this is not possible or appropriate they will contact the Police.
- If the issue is out of normal office hours or a Police matter, please report the issue to Surrey Police:
- for emergencies such a serious crime or accident always dial 999.
- by phone on 101 or 01483 571212.
- for non-urgent minor crimes/incidents you can report online to Surrey Police.
Contact us by telephone
Contact us by post
Surrey County Council
Countryside Access Team
Files available to download
- Public Rights of Way Maintenance and Enforcement Priority Statement May 2018 (23.3 KB)
Priority Statement for the Maintenance and Enforcement on Public Rights of Way