Skip to main content

Common questions about working for Surrey

Coronavirus update

Subject to the ongoing situation, it's essential that we continue recruiting safely. Therefore, interviews and communication will be virtual wherever possible and this will be communicated to you directly by the hiring manager.

Please also expect that advert closing dates and interview dates may change as required. We still continue to welcome applications for our current roles and wish you the best of luck with your application.

We would welcome applications especially for our most critical roles to ensure we're supporting our residents

  1. What are the six directorates within Surrey County Council?

What are Surrey County Council's values?

  • Respect
  • Trust
  • Listen
  • Responsible

What are the benefits of working for Surrey County Council?

Benefits include 24 days holiday (rising to 28 days after five years), flexible working (where appropriate) and our local government pension scheme. Please see the benefits page for a comprehensive list of what's on offer.

Where will I be based?

Our headquarters are in Kingston-upon-Thames but we do have other offices in the larger towns around the county. The main location of a role will be advertised on the job.

Will I get a relocation allowance?

Surrey offers a relocation allowance to those candidates meeting specific relocation criteria.

Will I need a DBS (formerly known as CRB) check?

You may be required to have a Disclosure and Barring Service (formerly known as Criminal Records Bureau) check run, depending on the role you apply for. Surrey County Council is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and vulnerable adults and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.

Is Surrey committed to equality and diversity?

We particularly welcome applications from under-represented ethnic, sex and gender, transgender, age, disabled, sexual orientation or religious groups.
Read more about our commitment to equality and diversity.

What pre-employment checks will be carried out?

You'll need to prove your eligibility to work in the UK and will be asked to complete a work health assessment form. References dating back up to three years and a DBS (formerly known as CRB) check may also be required.

Work experience with Surrey County Council

Read more about our work experience placements with Surrey Fire and Rescue Service.

Help with my application

Your application form helps to promote who you are and the skills and experience you can offer potential employers. Our helpful employment advice page can help you with putting together your application form.