Work experience plays a key role in the council’s vision to make Surrey a better place to live, work and visit. Surrey County Council encourages work experience, work shadowing and student placements and acknowledges the benefits these arrangements bring to our organisation, such as a new insight into the workplace and improved ties with the local community.
What types of placement are available within Surrey County Council?
Surrey County Council currently offers various types of placements which have been outlined below:
- Work experience placement – These placements require you to perform work or provide assistance to your placement area. Work experience is generally aimed at anyone still in school or graduating and offers hands-on experience.
- Work shadowing placement - These placements allow you to observe work that is undertaken by our employees but does require you to perform any work. Work shadowing placements provide an excellent learning environment without hands-on work.
What are the benefits of a placement with Surrey County Council?
The rewards and benefits of work experience are many. By choosing to do a placement with us, we can help you:
- Gain practical experience in the job you are interested in.
- Raise your awareness of current developments in the work area.
- Improve your job opportunities. Having experience of work will make you a more interesting prospect to employers and give you something to talk about on job applications and your CV.
- Build on your skills and knowledge and gain confidence in your chosen area of work.
- Build your networks.
- Explore career options and make a positive career choice.
- Gain excellent knowledge and insight into a large public sector organisation.
What can you expect from us?
- A work experience programme designed to meet your particular career needs.
- A chance to see first-hand what happens in a typical day on the job.
- An opportunity to meet different people in your chosen career area, ask questions and understand more about their industry.
- Encouragement and support.
- A safe and secure placement where you will be treated fairly and with respect.
- Knowledge of public sector.
What types of placements are available?
Surrey County Council offer placements across the whole of the council, in many different work areas and at a variety of locations across the county. Some departments run specialised placements and these links are shown below:
In your application please state the area of work you are interested in and we will do our best to match your chosen job area with one of our teams.
How do I apply for work experience?
Update 13/10/16: We are currently reviewing our applications process for work experience and will be accepting new placements from January. Please therefore check our website nearer this time for details on how to apply once the scheme has resumed.
Please complete the attached form to register your interest in a placement with Surrey County Council.
We take applications all year round. Please be aware that it can take several weeks to set up a placement, particularly in busy periods. We cannot guarantee finding you a placement, but we will try our best to support you.
Files available to download
- Work Experience Form (30.5 KB)
Apply for work experience