- Competitive pay
- An extra payment when you start
- The ideal place to live and work
- Help with the costs of relocating
- The Local Government Pension
- More annual leave from day one
- Flexible work/life balance
- Travel and transport benefits
- Award winning staff benefits and discounts
- Your development
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Inclusiveness, equality and diversity
- Refer a friend
Quality social work starts with great social workers. That's why we've reviewed our pay and reward package to give you more than ever for the job you do.
Our pay is competitive, and we reward your hard work. For full salary information for individual roles, search our vacancies.
The following salaries are per annum for 2019/2020, based on working 36 hours per week (pro rata if part time):
- ASYE: £32,251
- Social Worker: £34,688 - £38,476
- Senior Social Worker and Advanced Social Worker (depending on the level of experience): £39,438 - £43,744
- Team Managers: £44,838 - £50,711
- Service Managers: £60,258 - £68,151
An extra payment when you start
A start up payment of £2,000 is paid to permanent new starters moving into one of our social work positions (subject to conditions and paid pro rata if part time).
This is paid in two instalments – £1,000 in month one, and £1,000 in month six (subject to tax and national insurance deductions).
If you need to purchase a car, the full £2,000 can be made available in month one.
In order to receive a payment, a social worker must meet all of the following criteria:
- Newly appointed in a Children's social work graded role on a permanent contract (this includes those completing an ASYE) on Surrey County Council terms and conditions of employment.
- Employed in a Children's social worker role within the Social Wellbeing Job Family, on Surrey County Council terms and conditions of employment.
- The social worker qualification is a requirement of the role.
- They have not received a start-up payment within the last five years.
It does not apply to:
- Social workers in the Adults Social Care Directorate;
- Existing employees who have had a change of post or qualification with assistance received from the council;
- Anyone who has received a start up payment in a previous social work role within the last five years.
If an individual leaves the employment of Surrey County Council within the first two years, a proportion of the start-up payment will be repaid to the council.
The ideal place to live and work
Just a short distance from London but a million miles from its hustle and bustle, Surrey is a beautiful county nestled in the south-east of England.
You'll benefit from easy access to the capital, Heathrow and Gatwick airports, major roads (including the M25, M3 and M23) and frequent trains into Central London, as well as beautiful countryside on your doorstep.
Help with the costs of relocating
We offer relocation assistance of up to £8,000, to help you move nearer to your new place of work (subject to eligibility).
This covers specific removal and relocation costs, which can include removals; lodging or travelling allowance; disconnecting and reconnecting utilities; and certain professional fees (e.g. estate agents and solicitors).
The Local Government Pension
We offer membership to the Local Government Pension Scheme. Contributions range from 5.5% to 12.5% of pensionable pay based on earnings.
More annual leave from day one
Normally, Surrey employees receive 24 days annual leave plus bank holidays, only increasing to 28 days after two years' service (pro-rata if part time).
But as a social worker, you will receive the full 28 days annual leave entitlement as soon as you start.
Flexible work/life balance
Surrey provides a range of flexible working options to help you balance work and home, including working part time or as a job share.
We also give you the option of working on-site with your team, at home, or hot-desking at another location; subject to agreement from your line-manager .
Wherever you are, you'll be given the equipment you need (including tablets and smart phones) to work efficiently.
Travel and transport benefits
A range of travel and transport benefits are available, including business mileage reimbursement; interest free rail and bike loans; lease car and cycle schemes; and discounted rail and bus fares.
Car club schemes for business use or personal use are available, as is access to short term vehicle hire for business use (all subject to conditions).
Award winning staff benefits and discounts
We offer hundreds of discounts and offers for you and your family.
You'll get access to discounts and special offers on everyday shopping, including shopping cards and vouchers for Sainsbury's, Morrisons, Wilko, Boots, Primark and many more high street retailers.
There are also childcare vouchers, gym membership discounts, days out, cash back, holidays, weekends away, theatre and cinema offers, and much more.
We're committed to your training and career development, offering a rewarding, stimulating and challenging career path that's open and fair every step of the way.
Our 'MyCareer scheme' helps you to plan your career with the council. You can compare yourself against other job roles and find out what you need to do to progress.
Employee Assistance Programme
Our Employee Assistance Programme offers free, confidential support and advice for you and members of your household.
Support is available in a number of ways:
- A telephone support service, providing advice, information and support 24/7, 365 days of the year.
- An employee website, providing comprehensive tools and guidance to help you with personal and social wellbeing issues.
- Dedicated manager's resources, including a website with tools and guidance, and a 24 hour telephone coaching service to talk through difficult issues.
- Free and confidential counselling.
We have a dedicated Occupational Health Service providing support and assistance in relation to your health, safety and welfare.
Inclusiveness, equality and diversity
We aim to promote an inclusive culture for all staff. So, whatever your background, ethnicity, sex and gender, religion or sexual orientation, we welcome you and your application.
Refer a friend scheme
Employees refer a friend to a hard-to-recruit post within Adult Social Care or Children's Services and receive a £1,000 payment in return. A referral can be made at any time.
See our refer a friend to work at Surrey web page for more information.
Files available to download
- Relocation Assistance Policy (209.4 KB)
This document explains how to apply for relocation assistance with Surrey County Council