Work experience plays a key role in the council's vision to make Surrey a better place to live, work and visit. Surrey County Council encourages work experience, work shadowing and student placements and acknowledges the benefits these arrangements bring to our organisation, such as a new insight into the workplace and improved ties with the local community.
Who can apply for our work experience scheme?
Our work experience scheme is open to everyone; whether you are at school, college, university, returning to work or looking for a career change.
What are the benefits of a placement with Surrey County Council?
The rewards and benefits of work experience are many. By choosing to do a placement with us, we can help you:
- Gain practical experience in the job you are interested in.
- Raise your awareness of current developments in the work area.
- Improve your job opportunities. Having experience of work will make you a more interesting prospect to employers and give you something to talk about on job applications and your CV.
- Build on your skills and knowledge and gain confidence in your chosen area of work.
- Build your networks.
- Explore career options and make a positive career choice.
- Gain excellent knowledge and insight into a large public sector organisation.
What can you expect from us?
- A work experience programme designed to meet your particular career needs.
- A chance to see first-hand what happens in a typical day on the job.
- An opportunity to meet different people in your chosen career area, ask questions and understand more about their industry.
- Encouragement and support.
- A safe and secure placement where you will be treated fairly and with respect.
- Knowledge of public sector.
How do I apply for work experience?
Please complete the attached form to register your interest in a placement with Surrey County Council.
We take applications all year round. Please be aware that it can take several weeks to set up a placement, particularly in busy periods. We cannot guarantee finding you a placement, but we will try our best to support you.
Files available to download
- Work Experience Form (30.5 KB)
Apply for work experience