Subject to the ongoing situation, it's essential that we continue recruiting safely. Therefore, interviews and communication will be virtual wherever possible and this will be communicated to you directly by the hiring manager.
Please also expect that advert closing dates and interview dates may change as required. We still continue to welcome applications for our current roles and wish you the best of luck with your application.
We would welcome applications especially for our most critical roles to ensure we're supporting our residents
Work experience plays a key role in the council's vision to make Surrey a better place to live, work and visit. Surrey County Council encourages work experience, work shadowing and student placements and acknowledges the benefits these arrangements bring to our organisation, such as a new insight into the workplace and improved ties with the local community.
Who can apply for our work experience scheme?
Our work experience scheme is open to everyone; whether you are at school, college, university, returning to work or looking for a career change.
What are the benefits of a placement with Surrey County Council?
The rewards and benefits of work experience are many. By choosing to do a placement with us, we can help you:
- Gain practical experience in the job you are interested in.
- Raise your awareness of current developments in the work area.
- Improve your job opportunities. Having experience of work will make you a more interesting prospect to employers and give you something to talk about on job applications and your CV.
- Build on your skills and knowledge and gain confidence in your chosen area of work.
- Build your networks.
- Explore career options and make a positive career choice.
- Gain excellent knowledge and insight into a large public sector organisation.
What can you expect from us?
- A work experience programme designed to meet your particular career needs.
- A chance to see first-hand what happens in a typical day on the job.
- An opportunity to meet different people in your chosen career area, ask questions and understand more about their industry.
- Encouragement and support.
- A safe and secure placement where you will be treated fairly and with respect.
- Knowledge of public sector.
How do I apply for work experience?
Please complete the attached form to register your interest in a placement with Surrey County Council.
We take applications all year round. Please be aware that it can take several weeks to set up a placement, particularly in busy periods. We cannot guarantee finding you a placement, but we will try our best to support you.
Files available to download
- Work Experience Application Form (116.4 KB)
To apply for Work Experience with SCC, apply using this application form.
- Surrey County Council Work Experience Handbook (636.6 KB)
If you are interested in undertaking a work experience placement with Surrey County Council, this guide gives you all the information you need.